We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitoes

scotland
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mosquitoes

hI

I,m travelling to costa teguise in july. staying at the Barcelo La Galea Apartments. Can anyone tell me if you get much bother with mosquuitoes as my son is llergic to bites.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
841 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitoes

unfortunately mozzies are a fact of life here.take all the usual repellents and dont leave windows open at night etc.

HDH
Saundersfoot...
Level Contributor
511 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitoes

I'm allergic too (suffering severe anaphylactic shock etc ) , so have tried so manythings over the years .

I now take a vitamin B complex tablet daily (buy anywhere) whenever I go abroad where there are mossies. I also take an anti-histamine at night , I can't stand the chemical stuff so use avon woodland dry skin oil and it works briliantly and smells gorgeous and is good for the skin too..but I don't get bitten. I used this "combination" in Antigua last year and even my husband got bitten but not me ..hope that helps.

Rgds

Helen

Nottingham
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitoes

You can get a plug in thing in Boots whih you put a tabley in each evening which is effective for the room. Also get a spray to spray your son with in the evening before you go out. Some aftersuns also have an insecticide in them. As a previous poster said, take some anti - histamines as well. Good luck!

C

x

Birmingham, England
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitoes

I'm surprised to read about mosquitos on Lanzarote. We've been going for years and have never had a problem with them. We stay above the old port in Puerto del Carmen - maybe there are less there?

Scotland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitoes

I was quite surprised by some of these posts too - only on one of our visits have I had any trouble with mosquitoes, but one of the plug-in things solved the problem. It may depend on the location of your accommodation so maybe we've been lucky. I've never bothered using insect repellent for going out at night and have never had any problem.

Notts uk
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitoes

Ive just come back and dint see one mosquito!

England
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitoes

Hi.

Some people seem more attractive to mossies than others, which might explain why several posters haven't been bitten in Lanzarote. I certainly encountered many whilst staying near Teguise around July/August a couple of years back.

As someone whom mossies find irresistable, I agree with the previous posts on repellants. Boots do a good one, (containing deet), and some swear by Jungle Formula.

Whilst in Lanzarote, you can also buy mosquito repellent candles to light when outside on your balcony after dark. You should also encourage your son to stay covered up after dark, (long sleeves and trousers). That's what I've started doing on recent holidays, and my exposure to bites has been drastically reduced.

Using an 'after bite' stick containing ammonia immediately you notice a bite, will help reduce swelling and itching, (again, you can get these in Boots).

If you have air-con. - crank it up high - mossies hate it.

Hpe this helps.

Scotland
Level Contributor
474 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitoes

Just in response to micra1's post, I normally seem to be irresistible to mosquitoes! The first time I went to Greece I got over 30 bites on my first night, while my husband, in the same bed, didn't get a single one!!! Lanzarote is one of the few places I've visited where I haven't really had a problem, although after reading all these posts I'll definitely be taking my plug-in zapper. Things I have found useful to ease the itching from bites are that stinky ammonia stick (think it's called AfterBite) and one of those little clickers that generates a mini-electric spark (ZanzaClick, or something like that).

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitoes

Hiya, Go to Boots and get some insect repellent with 'Deet' in it. It has to have 'Deet', no good otherwise. It's alittle more expensive than regular repellent but worth it. It can stink so spray him before you go out, do it on the balcony or something. We used it in the west indies and didn't get bitten once. We even used it around our doors and in the morning used to see loads of dead mossies at the doorway!!!!!!!!!

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
474 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquitoes

Hi All,

I've just been reading in my local paper an article on a new Midge & Mosquito repellent that is made from 100% natural plant oils and is DEET free.

It also states that some research suggests DEET's high skin permeability has been known to have serious side affects. I didn't know but, DEET was developed by the US military in 1946 to soften plastic!

I have not tried this product but I noticed that they offer a "money back if not completely satisfied" guarantee and I know a lot off people are interested in natural products so I just thought I would pass on the info and let you decide.

The product is called MozzyOff and it states that it can be bought from over 100 stockists or from the website

http://www.mozzyoff.com/index.php

Keith.