We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

London
Level Contributor
273 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

Hi

We want a last minute short haul holiday in the sun for a week in April and some friends have recommended Lanzarote. Which resort do you think will best suit us as we are trying to decide if this will be the right choice for us.

We are a couple in our early 30's and enjoy local culture, good food and a relaxing environment with added luxury. We tend to holiday in places such as Vietnam, Hong Kong and Bali.

Any suggestions on areas and hotels would be great.

thanks

England
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

Costa teguise would be a great base. Hire a car if you can it will give you far more freedom to go and explore the sights, and will save you money! There are some fab restaurants nearby, there is an amazing french restaurant i cant remember the name of, but the locals all know it so ask around! Cant help you so much with the hotels as we normally hire an apartment or stay with friends but there is one there with a spa that ive heard being spoken of really highly.

Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

If you get chance and like to explore, get a hire car for a few days. Loads to see on Lanzarote. If you don´t like driving abroad but still want to get out, visit a Customer Travel or Last minute office to check out the coach tours. Both offer a number of different tours and your see plenty.

whatever the case, enjoy the break

Keith

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

I'll say playa blanca or puerto calero. Both are more upmarket and have some local culture. However if you really want to escape the tourists then Arrecife may be a choice. There's only a couple of hotels there. But it's very Canarian and most places shut for afternoon siesta still.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

Hi I would second the suggestion of puerto calero or playa blanca. If u go to puerto calero do hire a car though as it is small and you will want to get out and about. If you are used to the more luxurious resorts of Bali and vietnam the princess yaiza in playa blanca would be up your street ( reminded us of Thai hotels ) but it is pricey. I wouldn't recommend arrecife as a base for a first time visitor who is looking for luxury surroundings and chill time.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

Having stayed at Puerto del Carmen, Costa Teguise....then Playa Blanca....I'd recommend Playa Blanca. Have returned over the last 6 years and we love it so much we bought a holiday home there....flying back out in the morning yay!

Princesa Yaiza was our favoured hotel to stay B&B so you can get out and sample local restaurants.

Have visited Puerto Calero for a few Sunday morning breakfasts out....agree a lovely place.

Wherever you stay do try to visit Arrecife (good bus services there) whilst it does seem everyone's cup of tea...we quite like it, great to soak a bit more traditional atmosphere.

Defo echo comments to hire a car and see the island....roads are good to drive.

Let us know what you choose...and do post your thoughts on return, be good to hear what you thought.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 13:52
London
Level Contributor
273 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

Hi

Thank you everyone for your comments. It looks like its going to be either Costa Tequise or Playa Blanca. I found that the hotels in CT tend to be very big complexes and we are looking more of a boutique type hotel with a lovely pool.

Is it better to stay in a hotel or a self catering apartment/ villa? and some recommendations please.

Looked at the Princesa Yaiza and it does look very nice!!

thanks again.

Costa Teguise, Spain
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

there are some really nice private villas in costa teguise all within walking distance from the main town and all with private pools and good facilities check out lanzaroteholidays.com or espanabreaks.com or if you want playa blanca try lanzarotelates.com happy hols x

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,031 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

I'd go for villa, or bed and breakfast at the Princesa Yaiza in Playa Blanca.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

I really recommend playa blanca over CT. however I stress there is nothing wrong with ct (before I get attacked!) it is just personal preference. I also think it has a bit more of an upmarket feel which is something you cited as a priority . If u do rent a villa just be careful of the area it's in. Villas do tend to be 'further put' of resort and often not walking distance so you will need a hire car.

10. Re: Is Lanzarote right for us?? Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 12:15