We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar - total crooks

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Goldcar - total crooks

Goldcar in Palma de Mallorca are total crooks.

Not only do they charge you €108 for a tank of fuel for a B-class car, it is non-refundable and you can't return the car full to avoid this charge.

They are also the rudest people I have ever come across. Make sure you do not sign anything (including one of those digital sign systems) until you have seen fully the terms and conditions as they get you to sign and then apply your signature to the fuel agreement before you have read it.

In fact never ever use them, they deserve to go bust.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 10:30
MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

so you signed without readng the T&Cs then? This full tank thing is becoming more common and I always check before i agree to anything, particularly if I have no intention of using a full tank

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

Ahhh, you must have been looking for the "cheapest" car hire?

Well, you got it. How much did you save?

Try Sixt next time. Not only do you get nice cars, fuel as an >option< , and pickup ON the airport, they're even nice about it :-)

Not the cheapest, though. But quite possibly less than you spent on this one.

Live and learn.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

First I booked this through Carhire3000, so you get a rate and you pay it.

I hire cars worldwide and understand penal rates for fuel when you agree to return full (or to a level) and don't. But this is that you HAVE to take the car full at their rates, which amounted to double the cost of filling the tank usually and an additional 50% of the total rental cost.

They give you the impression you are signing for the deposit on your card, rather than for an agreement about fuel (I had already full paid online for the rental) and you don't get to see that until you have signed this electronic signature capture. The T&C say you gat a full tank of fuel and nowhere say they charge the rate they charge.

I disputed the charge and their answer was "well go to one of the other companies then". Not much use when the rental is fully paid already.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

thanks mallorcat, but I hire cars all over the place on a regular basis and know all the big carhire companies. This comapny exists on the basis that people take the live-and-learn attitude and so don't challenge when it's pretty much theft.

I will say that the cars they have are nice and new at Goldcar, they are not some little crackpot affair.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 11:45
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

Tell me where I would know from this that they charge 100% mark up on fuel

Terms: http://www.goldcar.es/en/terminos/

FAQ: http://www.goldcar.es/en/preguntas/

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

fuel policy does state that you will be charged estra than the normal price but doesn't actually say what it is! bit naughty!!

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

Oh, it's not just Mallorca.

I was shafted at Gatwick last year - pretty much the same deal - complete misrepresentation. Also ended up paying a fortune for "cheap" car hire in France the year before.

The car hire business (particularly in Europe) is simply a nasty one, everywhere -- but the household names don't become household names by conducting business in this way, which is why I continue to use them.

London
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

I have just rented from this company today and not only do they have a rip off fuel policy they only provide essentially 3rd party insurance. So unless you want to be liable for the cost of the whole car, you will feel obliged to take out the "optional" extra insurance at 30 euros for 5 days. So I have paid 135 euros extra for a 5 day rental.

Please avoid this company at all costs.

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

This isn't a new thread, read the following.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…18254171

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar - total crooks

Record car hire operate a similar policy. If it's a compulsory charge then it should be detailed upon hiring... not finding out when you get there how much a litre they have decided to charge today... way over regular pump price too.

It appears that only hire periods longer than 4 days have this full-empty policy. Worth looking into hiring it 'twice' so to speak.