We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
7 posts
Save Topic
Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Any one know if Centauro charges any "hidden costs"? Do they charge for fuel? Do they "hold" a fee on your credit card during rental?

58 replies to this topic
wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Did you book direct with Centauro or through a broker eg Holiday Autos? Unless you pre-booked a full/full fuel policy they charge for fuel and at very high rates.You defo need Waiver of Excess for Collision Damage if you didn't pay for it when booking.Optional extras include cover for damage to glass,tyres,underside of car and Personal Accident.I don't take the latter 2 but I always take the Waiver of Excess.

Their depot is off-airport.You are checked-in on arrival at PMI then directed to their minibus which takes you to their compound near C'an Pastilla.

They do block out an amount on your credit card.

Just a word of warning and I have no proof so you can ignore if you wish.I collected my Centauro car from their compound and handed over my credit card so they could block out for "extras".I returned the car and they ripped up the blank credit card voucher they had run off.That was it I thought.

Then my credit card statement arrived.My card had been used to book a single flight from Palma to Marrakesh on Royal Air Maroc and a single flight from Palma to Zurich.Also 2 Vodafone top-ups.None of these transactions was made by me.My credit card on that holiday was only out of my possession in Centauro's office so I remain convinced that my card details were skimmed there and sold on.After a lot of hassle with the card co I got my debits rescinded.

midlands uk
Level Contributor
172 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Very interesting ,I am using them on the 13th for a week. Do I need to report to them at the airport or do I just catch the mini bus. I have booked via Hol Autos. Thanks

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

There is a rep whom you are instructed to meet at Meeting Point in the terminal concourse landside.I think your voucher from Holiday Autos tells you these meeting up arrangements.If the weather is nice she won't be at the Meeting Point but outside chatting to other hire car reps.I only discovered this having waited at Meeting Point for 10 minutes then asked at the adjacent Information Desk where the Centauro rep was.She ticks you off her list then directs you to their minibus which is parked over by the multi-storey car park.

You can e-mail Holiday Autos and ask them to change your supplier eg to Hiper.I have done this when they placed me with Goldcar-and nobody wants to go with Goldcar at PMI.

Edited: 25 July 2011, 20:44
Glossop
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Centauro Car Hire Mallorca - AVOID THIS COMPANY!

We have just come back from a lovely holiday in Mallorca the only black mark was our BIG MISTAKE in using Centauro...

Firstly the site is not at the Airport so a shuttle is necessary... to be fair this worked ok although the queue's in the heat not good!

The big issue was at the depot... Chaos is the only word... you have to take a ticket from a machine (like the supermarket) to join the queue....

When you get to actually sit in front of someone we find they do not take Visa Debit only VISA?

Fuel Rip off... Car has full tank of fuel - They charge (70Euros) you have to bring it back as empty as possible... no refunds!

INSURANCE - You can either buy their insurance against punctures & breakdown or pay 300Euros which is paid back if no damage or punctures.... wait for it... No cars have a spare Tyre!

I will never use these again... pay a little more & go for a firm at the airport!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Go for Sixt much the best of the carhire companies I have used at PMI.But I have used Centauro in the past (using them this Saturday actually).You can opt for full/full fuel policy depending on the duration of your hire.The location of their garage is of little consequence.

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

AVOID THIS COMPANY. We booked through Holiday Autos and have had a bad experience with Centauro. As stated above the depo is off airport - we had to wait ages for the shuttle bus as there was a queue ahead of us so it took us almost 2 hours to complete the process. The depo is chao sand we also were charged 70 euro for petrol and instructed to bring it back empty. Our big mistake was to accept the car without agreeing the existing damage with a member of staff. There were a numer of small dents and scratches on the car which on return we were blamed for and charged the insurance excess. In addition the cars are supplied with no spare wheel and no puncture kit. Centauro acknowedge this and admit it is cheaper for them to send out a recovery vehicle. Tough luck on the customer sitting by the side of the road in the heat!

Basingstoke, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Avoid avoid avoid! This company is a disgrace.

We booked Centauro after Thomson Holidays recommended them and hugely regret it. First, it took two hours for us to get the car. 40 people queuing outside the terminal; another 40 in the rental centre itself. Then, having already bought collision damage waiver with the insurance we were told this did not cover windscreen and tyres for which we had unlimited liability - this was an additional 40 euros. Finally, we were told that we had to buy a full tank of fuel up front and return the car empty. Another 60 euros and, let's be clear, on an island the size of Mallorca, no prospect of using it all. We travelled to Puerto Pollensa, about as far as you can go, used it all week and used about 1/3 of a tank. So 40 euros straight to Centauro.

All up, we paid double the quoted amount and spent two hours waiting in the airport for the privilege.

In my book these are simply sharp practises. And Thomson should be ashamed to be promoting their products.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
892 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Thank you all for the words of warning.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
5,463 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

Can't see how the claim that they are off airport is true though? They are within the confines of the airport ring road and just a few mins in the shuttle away.

Yes the meet up with the shuttle is problamatic, there's no big sign or anything telling you where to go and meet up. But once there I didn't endure any 2 hour queues. About 10 mins and I had a brand new car with 10k on the clock. The depo is right next to a motorway junction so it's straight on the road from the depo location.

All the other gripes about insurance excess charges etc are similar to what the other companies charge as well.

I would use again.

Brovary, Kyyivs'ka...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca

I had a terrible experiance with Centauro!!!we took a WV Polo, a new one.Everything was ok except of clutch pedal, that suddenly stopped working without no reason. It all happened late (arounf 11 pm),after i called to hot line, the mechaniker was sent.The solution that was proposed sounded like this:he had to take the car coz he couldnt repair it,we were 100 km from home, in the middle of no where, awful place with dozen of prostitutes on the street.We had to spend the night in the car in that awful place, because Centauro refused to provide transportation to the place where we lived.We had waited 14 hours for a new car.No refund was provided.they just gave the e- mail of the customer service, that investigates such cases.I wouldn't wish anyone that to happen on vacation.

Reply to: Centauro Car Hire -- Mallorca
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca