We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire Palma airport - prices

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Car hire Palma airport - prices

Hello guys and girls.

Just a quick question about car hire. I have read the posts about dodgy insurance, petrol etc scams but my question is about something else. I have checked prices a few times over last few days and they seem to be very high. For 9 days 01/07-10/07 the minimum quote is over £220 for a mini economical car. When you add the insurance £40, petrol £50 etc it just seems to be well over £300. Is this normal or are the prices over inflated over that period of time? Should I expect any other hidden charges?

Regards

Martin

Ballina, Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

Warning-EUROCAR- rip off, just back from a pleasant week in Majorca, hired a car in advance from Euorocar through Kemwel agency, paid in advance and came home to discover €199 excess charges to my card, €76 for a child seat ( we booked and paid in advance and anyway we could buy one for that) and the rest for fuel ! it was nearly full but we could'nt find a garage in the airport, that they say is there when you book but i couldn't find it.

The car hire was only €120 euro.

Benidorm, Spain
Level Contributor
489 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

BEWARE:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

JUST RETURNED FROM MALLORCA AFTER USING OK CAR HIRE

first off it not near the airport 10 15 mins travel

waiting time to be picked up 1 hr

service 0

ripping off 10-10

if you do rent go over the car like your buying it

get them to sign for the damage all no matter what

or better still use another company

rental 56 quid

70 euro s extra insurace

70 euros petrol

420 euros damage to car

the car was filthy inside and out

and the damaged was pointed out at collection but dismissed as minor

they could speak english until i asked to see the last three rental for the car which they said no !

KK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

Record Car Rental Palma Airport Majorca

Misled, overcharged and lied to by Record Car Rentals

I hired a car from Record Car Rentals for ten days in May.

Having researched the various hire companies on Trip Advisor I foolishly ignored the large number of negative reports about Record and prepaid my car hire in advance.

On collection of the car I was asked to pay a further amount of €140. When I asked what this extra amount was for I was told it was for a full tank of fuel and a “deposit”.

Like a fool, I paid the €140. I had specifically read and printed the terms and conditions of the hire and had them with me. They clearly say – “no hidden charges”, “full insurance included in the price”. However, it was 11.30pm at night, I had my 3 little kids with me, so I paid the money.

Subsequently when I read the small print on the delivery note I noticed a fee for “comfort insurance” for €60.

When I returned the car I immediately explained that I had been charged €60 for insurance that I did not want and had specifically declined on-line.

The Record lady instantly got irate with me and said I had signed for the insurance and therefore it was legal. She was so defensive and negative that it was clear to me that she was well used to this type of dispute.

I politely explained to her that I queried the charge at the point of collection and was told that I was paying for fuel and a “deposit”.

She firstly denied that I was told about a deposit and then she basically told me that since I had signed for the car that it was my problem and I should just get over it.

Realising I was wasting my time speaking to this woman I simply handed her the key of the car. She then asked where the keyring was. I told her that there was no keyring on the key when I got it (which is 100% true – a keyring would have been very handy for me). At this she went ballistic shouting at her colleague in Spanish and telling me that it was impossible that I could have gotten a key without a key ring.

At this point all the bad reviews of Record Car Rentals on Trip Advisor flashed through my mind. Even though the overcharge was only €60 I still felt extremely foolish for allowing myself to be conned by this crowd of chancers.

To be fair to Record Car Rentals the car I got was new and worked perfectly

But they conned my out of €60 for extra insurance, they lied to me when I enquired about the charge, they abused me when I asked for a refund and the ultimate ignominy they insinuated I stole their key ring. How pathetic is that……………

My verdict – avoid Record Car Rentals like they plague. The may advertise the cheapest prices but they screw you in the long run.

Alnwick, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

Watch out for the petrol scam when you hire a car from Europcar. You are told the car is full and it should be returned empty. This means you will be charged for a full tank of petrol. We have just received our bill for 87.32 euros for a Fiat Panda with a tank capacity of 35 litres. That's £2 a litre!!

On small islands not many drivers will get anywhere near using up a full tank. The car was booked through the Jet2.com website but there is no way of reporting back to them and the booking agency, rentalcars.com were less than helpful. Once bitten!!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

Best to seek out the car hire companies who have full/full fuel policy as standard eg Sixt,or those that give you the option (it does cost more on the base price) of full/full for hires of 4 days or more.Holiday Autos have this option on many cars but in fairness it does take some fathoming on their website.Look for the fuel icon against their listed cars for your enquired hire period.

Paddy the treatment you received from Record was poor but not untypical of the brand.And 60 euros was really a lucky escape when you see the many hundreds of euros scammed out of OK customers for pre-existing bodywork damage.Thanks for posting another warning.

KK
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

For the record. I didn't just whinge here on Trip Advisor. I e-mailed a complaint to Record Car Rentals. They promised that someone from Customer Services would respond within 30 working days. Needless to say..............never hear a thing.

7. Re: Car hire Palma airport - prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:16