We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tobacconists in Torremolinos

Which Torremolinos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
herefordshire
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tobacconists in Torremolinos

Smokers beware there is a tobacconist on the sea front in Torremolinos that will over charge you for your purchases. It is Estanco Bajondillo at the bottom of the old steps. He charged me double for my cigarettes and when I returned and challenged him he lied saying I had had the amount of cigarettes he had charged me for but I most certainly had not.

May well never return to this part of Spain again

Hamster

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

I think you need to explain further, really.

How did you pay double? Surely cigs are priced up at 42€ say how/why would you pay 84€? Of course mistakes happen, but surely you must have realised you were paying UK prices?

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,844 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

Agree with Mantalk but also its an odd reason for not returning to this part of Spain again! There is so much more to the Costa Del Sol (and the rest of Spain) than one tobacco shop who may or may not have over charged you.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

Also, it's government run isn't it? In other words they all legally have to charge the same amount. I think they have to have a license to operate.

It may have been a genuine mistake, but of course no business would offer a refund in a case like that because nothing would stop someone walking off with say 2000 cigs and saying they were only given 1000.

Always a good idea to check your purchases against what's been charged before paying/leaving the shop.

CB

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

Did you get a receipt, if so, did it state how many cigs were purchased and what you paid?..

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

It does seem very strange that you didn´t realise that you were paying twice as much as you should have at the time of purchase.

However, if this genuinely happened you should have demanded to complete the shops Complaint Book - ´Libro de Reclamaciones´ - that they aqre required to keep by law. The authorities take such matters very seriously.

I am not doubting your story but, to be fair on the shop, we have used it many times - not for Cigarettes - and have never had a problem.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 14:03
Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

have to say in the days when I used to bring back 6K+ cigs between the two of us, where ever we bought, always counted out in front of us on the counter and a full till receipt provided.

Sleeves of 200 make counting quite easy, and assume still 5k to a carton.

If an error has happened, I am sure can be rectified if you return to the shop, stock taking on cigs is something shops do every day.

home
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

Have ye noticed its a first time poster so I would take it with a pinch of salt..

How can anyone be charged double for cigarettes unless they never bought a pack before.Also to say that they would never return to this part of Spain again because of this makes me laugh.

8. Re: Tobacconists in Torremolinos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:16