We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DoYouSpain.com - zero insurance excess completely misleading

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading!!! Learn from my experience!

I hired a car from Malaga airport for two weeks via this outfit in May 2013. The rental company that actually supplied the car was RecordGo.

Firstly, the good points: the hire charge I got via DoYouSpain was very good - £108 (128 Euro) for a Nissan Note for 2 weeks. The car was in good condition and performed well, and the RecordGo staff were good to deal with.

But, despite DoYouSpain prominently advertising “No Insurance Excess”, once I received the booking voucher for RecordGo it advised that there would be an excess of 500 Euro (about £420) for damage to glass, underside and due to ‘negligence’ - which I could avoid if I paid an additional insurance charge of 14 Euro per day (£11.75) making a total of about £165 - so much for my ‘good deal’! . Too late to find an alternative I’d decided to accept the risk. Actually, when collecting the car RecordGo advised that the excess waiver charge would be around 9 Euro per day, capped at 92 Euro (£77). But they also had a longer list of damage types / causes for which I would be liable – but I decided to risk it and so left a credit card ‘pre-authorisation’ for 500 Euro.

First day of our holiday we returned to the car in a supermarket car park to find that someone had driven into the side of the car and someone had deliberately scratched the tail gate with a key or similar over an area of 6 – 8 inches square.

No witnesses or cameras, but I decided to report it to the local Police (who were very pleasant and helpful despite me not speaking Spanish and them no English…). I got a report – although they’d initially indicated that in the absence of any evidence of the perpetrator there was nothing they could do. Incidentally, I tried to ring the number RecordGo supplied to report an accident but it didn’t connect. The Police also tried and failed…….

On returning the car at the end of the holiday I was asked whether it was OK, so I explained about the incident and provided a copy of the Police report. The RecordGo representative dealing with returned cars said it was the decision of a another department, but she expected it to be viewed as vandalism and that at least some of my excess would be forfeit. But there was no formal inspection of the car, no confirmation of the extent of the damage and she couldn’t tell me how much of the 500 Euro would be charged or when, although she suggested 2 – 3 weeks. She agreed that any accident involving another driver would be covered by the main insurance collision damage waiver (i.e. no excess liability), even if that driver was uninsured, but a vehicle collision to a parked car when the other driver cannot be identified wouldn’t. I had a plane to catch, so I couldn’t see what more I could do.

There is a happy ending……..after two weeks nothing had been charged to my credit card, so I rang the bank (Santander) and explained that I disputed this potential charge because I didn’t agree that damage caused by a collision with another (unidentified) vehicle should be excluded from what the insurance covered and that it was unacceptable that I didn’t know how much I could be charged or when. I was told that the charge couldn’t be blocked and that Santander’s dispute procedure could not start until the my account was actually charged. But I could cancel my card and get a new one, and this would effectively block the charge. So I did. And a month on I’ve paid nothing. Perhaps RecordGo decided not to invoke the excess charge for some reason.

And I can confirm other feedback about DoYouSpain – once they’ve got your money they’re not interested. I contacted them about this matter, received an automated message saying I’d get a response and heard nothing more….

Lessons: (1) Ignore DoYouSpain’s claim of Zero Insurance excess – find out ahead of time what excess the actual Car Hire company will impose, and for what, and decide if you’re willing to pay the waiver charge or look for a better ‘all-in’ deal - if you can find one (2) if you do take the risk and the car suffers damage you may be able to cancel your credit card before the excess charge hits (although I’m not condoning this as a means of dodging charges that you’re properly responsible for).

UK/Benalmadena
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

traveloz, it always pays to read the T & C's BEFORE you make a booking. This is from the DYS site:

Frequently Asked Questions

>> Making a booking >> Collecting the car >> Conditions of hire >> Driving licence

>> Fuel >> Accessories >> Payment >> Restrictions

Conditions of hire

What type of insurance is there?

In the majority of locations, the vehicles have Fully Comprehensive Insurance with no excess including unlimited civil liability, damage or accident to third parties (CDW), theft of the vehicle (TP) and personal accident insurance for the occupants of the rented vehicle.

However, the following things are never included in the insurance with any car rental company: tyres, wheels, damage to glass/windscreen, damage to the undercarriage, loss of keys, filling up the vehicle with the wrong type of fuel. (There may be further exclusions depending on the supplier. Please contact us when you have made a booking for further information).

The majority of our suppliers offer extra insurance to cover the things not included in the fully comprehensive insurance. Please note that any extra insurance is optional.

In some locations the insurance conditions may be different. Bookings made with Atesa, Europcar, Avis, Sixt, BK Rent and in the north are subject to an insurance excess. All information is provided on the rental voucher sent when the booking is confirmed.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,004 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

Jose, Do You Spain managing director posts regularly on another thread. I am sure he will respond to this thread too. I have previously posted about the wording on that forum and also the "UK meaning/understanding" of fully comprehensive. Which leads to loads of posts similar to yours. Jose did say this would be looked at. Obviously not been done yet.

I book excess cover before travelling with http://www.carhireexcess.com/ , but that's obviously knowing of the issue. This policy also covers misfuelling and lost keys plus breakdown recovery costs.

Changing the wording would prevent anyone else falling foul of this again.

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

I agree with Alinbenalmadena and Mantalk about checking all the T&Cs. The zero excess that DYS are talking about is what some car hire companies offer, its not DYS's policy. I sort of understand RecordGo's point that vandalism may not come under the zero excess waiver, although personally I don't see why it wouldn't, especially if they are covered when an uninsured driver is involved. However, I think your problem is with Recordgo and not DYS.

You signed a contract with Recordgo to pay the excess in the event you had an accident that covered the underside, tyres etc and although this incident wasn't related to that, if Recordgo feel they need to be recompensed for the damage because they believe it doesn't come under the zero excess (which again I say, I think is wrong) then they surely would be entitled to get it, even though there was no perpetrator to get it from? Also for Santander to suggest that you cancel your card and then get a new one to avoid paying any charges is wrong in my opinion. I think that you should've kept your card and argued the case if they charged you. In the event, it sounds like they didn't bother to charge you becausethey accepted that it comes under the zero excess.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that if they did charge you it would be wrong, but I must say that I wonder actually where you would stand in law? Cancelling a card to avoid a charge on it that, atlhough you may dispute it, could well be a valid charge under the T&Cs is surely breaking the contract you made with them.

I think that all brokers (not just DYS) need to make sure that the T&Cs of the companies they are advertising are clear on their websites and that people aren't confused the wording. Plus people should always check the T&Cs before they go, we have got excess cover insurance through a UK company for the first time this year (last time we went Auto-europe offered free excess cover on some cars) to avoid problems like this. Although our card will no doubt be blocked by Helle Hollis, if we did get charged we would claim it back through our insurer when we get home.

As MT say, Jose is active on the forums and frequently posts on threads where someone has been complaining. I hope he gets back to you soon.

CJB

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

Is always clear on every hirers t & c's that tyres, windows etc are not covered, has been the same for years.

You need to check the small print of any insurance policy.

I know when starting to take longer holidays, found my house insurance and contents invalid if I was away for more then 30 days. My son found out that his insurance on his phone limited on his contents and travel insurance limited to £300, as it cost him over £400 they refused to accept a claim.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

I have hired cars in Spain, Portugal and the Republic of Ireland. The T&Cs are the same in each of these destinations irrespective of the use of the word "comprehensive". I found this out to my cost in Cork when I had a front wheel blow out which shredded the tyre. A nearby garage offered to get me a suitable tyre (which I would have had to pay for) within a few hours however I chose to have the emergency spare fitted since I was going home the next day. When I returned the car to the airport depot and told them what had happened they did not charge me the cost that the garage would have done, ie the price and fitting/balancing of one tyre the bill would have covered renewing all four. If such a thing were to happen again I would have the tyre replaced locally.

It is my risk to take but I do not purchase the additional insurance, I have my card blocked by the required sum and if I get into trouble I will deal with it.

Lindsay

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

Lindsay. When we were on the Carihuela, someone in our hotel was charged 150 euro's for his hirer to go out to a puncture, cost me 30 euro's to repair my last puncture a lot of difference.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

Hi Ian

Last summer I came out of the house to a puncture on the morning my husband was flying home. He quickly put on the emergency spare for me, I dropped him at Gib and I went to a tyre station to have it repaired. It cost me 15€, I was more than happy as the very nice man took the emergency spare off and put the wheel with the repaired tyre back on for me and off I tootled back to Chiclana. I sometimes feel a bit of common sense is required, do some people leave that part of their character at home when they go off on holiday.

Lindsay

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

Morning Folks

Today is five sleeps until we fly, yes it is getting close - Wednesday 3rd July is our date. This morning in my inbox I find an email from Claire at www.doyouspain.com it is a polite reminder of my booking from Málaga airport on Wednesday of next week. And amazingly I still have an opportunity to make changes should I wish. On the second page is a copy of the voucher to be presented at the SIXT desk upon arrival so no need to trawl through my inbox to find the original voucher issued when booked. Beneath the voucher is a paragraph on conditions, I will quote it so there are no mistakes:

<< Minimum age 18 for economic and compact vehicles, 21 (+2 years driving licence) for intermediate vehicles and 25 (+3 years driving licence) for luxury vehicles.

Payment for the vehicle must be made by CREDIT CARD (MasterCard or Visa) on arrival at the local office.

Fully comprehensive insurance (LDW) with excess (600eur+IVA for economic and compact vehicles and 750-1500eur+IVA for larger vehicles).

We operate a full/full fuel policy.

PAI (optional) 4eur+VAT per day.

Insurance for glass/tyres (optional) 8.46eur+VAT/day, 25.41eur+VAT/week, max.50.83eur+VAT per hire (of up to 30 days).

Snow chains 54.99eur+VAT per rental.

GPS: 8.19eur+VAT/day, max.46.14eur+VAT per rental.

Additional driver 6.99eur+VAT/day, max.69.99eur+VAT per rental.

Young driver supplement (less than 23 years old): 9.99eur+VAT/day, max.99.99eur+VAT.

Our supplier does not offer refunds for the early return of the car.

I t is obligatory to present the voucher to collect the car. >>

This is exactly the same level of service I have experienced from www.doyouspain.com on each of my previous three hires. Do I expect any bother, no not particularly. Do I understand the above quoted paragraph - that would be a resounding yes. Can we please put this subject to bed and talk about something else.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 28 June 2013, 07:57
Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
12,096 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

Hear! Hear! I think the T&Cs are perfectly clear Lindsay, they are succinctly put and in plain English. Let's hope more people heed the advice that many of us have given in this thread. I know that there will be times when things won't be perfect but as long as everyone is clear about the T&Cs there will be less arguments (which in some cases can make the experience at the hire desk less than pleasant) when picking up our cars.

Madrid, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DoYouSpain.com – zero insurance excess completely misleading

By way of an update on this subject. In the past few weeks many car suppliers in Spain. GoldCar, Hertz, Avis, Inter Rent for example. These and others have realised that the online rental car brokers, like Tipoa.com are offering together with MONDIAL and/or Allianz insurance, the optional extra zero excess insurance policy, at around €7 a day. This serious erodes one of the few extra income streams (scams) left to them now after the virtual black-listing of their fuel policy scam. So they are trying to fight back with offers of FREE additional driver or in my case Goldcar was claiming FREE ZERO EXCESS INSURANCE. Like a fool I didn't take the Allianz option on the tipoa website when i booked, thinking I would save money as Goldcar are throwing this in for free. HOW WRONG I WAS. On arrival at Alicante the desk staff revealed that yes the zero excess is free BUT it does not cover , Windscreen,Tyres, Loss of Keys etc... so I would have to pay extra.... It is very simple , if you want to curtail these tactics at the rental counters across Spain then simply take out the optional extra insurance which FULLY covers you for everything with Allianz or Mondial.... Remove this extra income stream from the car hire suppliers.