We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire advice please

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
6 posts
Save Topic
Car hire advice please

Want to hire a car from Malaga to drive to Orgiva for a week's stay. Mixed reviews of lots of car hire places.

Don't mind paying a little extra for quality service and no dodgy dealers. Have heard Auto Europe and Malagacar.com are good.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire advice please

Hi there

Unfortunately there are so many to chose from it's probably best to use the search facility on this forum and read peoples experiences and make your choice from there.

You can either obviously type in "car hire" or the name of the company in the small box where it says Search In.... Malaga Forums.

CB

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
for Mijas, Sitio de Calahonda
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire advice please

I can certainly recommend Auto-europe but they are a broker so they will find you a deal with one of many companies. However, when we booked last year the first 2 companies they suggested were ones that have some terrible reviews so I refused them. They then found us a great deal with AVIS, for not much more than the cheaper companies, they also on some deals have inclusive excess insurance, which we took. AVIS also had a 3% discount on fuel card for us to use at CEPSA petrol stations which was great. They also offered a full/full fuel policy which was great for us.

The main advice I would give you is that whoever you choose to go with make sure that you fully check the vehicle and take photographic evidence of any bumps, scratches etc and check that the aerial is there. If anything is wrong then go straight back to the desk and complain and ask for another car. Also, if you just drop the car back and get your flight, make sure you take photos of the car before you go just in case the company you are with decide to charge you for damage which you know wasn't done by you.

This may sound OTT but most of the complaints on here about car hire companies are from people who don't read the T&Cs properly and who feel they have been "scammed". As CB said have a search and look at all the reviews and make up your own mind.

Also be aware that Quidco.com the cash back website have lots of car hire firms on there (Auto-europe and holidayautos for example) where you can get cashback on the amount you pay if you go through them.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,363 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire advice please

Paying more for car hire does not guarantee a better service. have rented for 40+ years on the coast and could give you a good or bad review for most hire companies.

Think only good thing is that the rates for 2012 seem to be in line with 2011.

Would look at the recent "Honest car Hire" thread in the benalmadena forum, a TA member gives two rates for a week in March (48 and 79 euro's). One is with a hire company the other a broker, both seem very sensible choices to me. I use the DYS broker for every trip normally, have used H H on many occasions before.

There are a number of hire companies with "Malaga Car" in the title, one should be avoided at all costs, not sure which, as so many with a similar trading title, the bad one's just changed slightly their trading title.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,882 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire advice please

Malaga forum isn't my usual haunt, but am currently organising a trip to Spain for later this year.... anyway, just booked my car hire and Hertz have currently got a 33% sale on their site...

Booked a 9 day hire for £139, that wasn't the cheapest class of car either (and it's for Valencia to Malaga, so might have been more expensive for having a different drop off location).

Manchester, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire advice please

There are plenty of good hire companies but one I would definitely advise you to avoid would be 'Brian's Rent-a-car' underneath Apts Iris, Av. Gamonal. I was quoted 100 euros for one weeks hire all included, but when I went to collect the vehicle, the guy charged me an extra 35 euros before he would let me take the car. I then found out that my credit card had been charged twice for the deposit when I was told that my leaving the card number was purely for security against damage and/or parking and speeding fines. Luckily I still had one weeks holiday left so I was able to go back to the office to get it sorted. However the guy (Dave) got extremely aggressive when I pointed out to him that my card had then been charged twice for commissions and the deposit refund was incorrect. I ended up asking for the claims book and have since reported the business to the consumer office at the town hall. Apparently this isn't the first time and thanks to my Spanish friend for advising me. I didn't know about how to complain but apparently every business including bars shops and even taxis and buses have to carry a complaints book. More people should use them. Even tourists have rights!!!!!

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire advice please

You did exactly the right thing Lindsey. Too many people come onto the forum and complain about their car hire company but don't report it to the local trading standards office or ask for the complaints book which they should provide by law in Spain. If more people did as you did then businesses wouldn't be able to get away with bad service.

Frigiliana, Spain
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire advice please

Returned today from malaga after using automotive car hire for the second time via economy carhire. a new company with lots of new cars to chose from and a great price thrown in. excellent customer service when we have used them and they honoured our email requests for a full full policy with no issues at all. they gave us a free upgrade this time but we prefered a smaller car and they had no problems changing the car for a smaller one

Erith, Kent
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire advice please

Good to hear some positive feedback for a change about a car hire company. Sounds like one to keep a note of.

;)

9. Re: Car hire advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2012, 02:05
10. Re: Car hire advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2013, 09:31