We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

Which Malaga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

We've hired a villa through Villa Plus and were told that car hire for our villa is essential. We leave on Friday and I've just been going through the travel documentation and discovered that the car hire is with Auriga Crown, a company for which there are very poor reviews from the buy a full tank policy to huge queues to giving people poor quality vehicles. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience of this company?

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
293 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

I hired a car with Auriga about 15-20 times over the period 2-5 years ago. I never had a problem, and found the cars to be generally new, always in good condition and the damage waiver/insurance policy to be far more generous than at Hertz, Avis, etc. In our case they would always also waive the requirement for full/empty if you were only hiring for a couple of days (as you're unlikely to use the whole tank), but not if we were hiring for a week.

However:

Car hire companies change, and a recent review suggested that they've had trouble financing the purchase of new cars, so their fleet is now older. I can't comment on whether that is true.

I always hired in Granada, where they relied quite a lot on repeat business, which is not so much the case in Malaga. Perhaps service was therefore always better in Granada.

Also bear in mind that some favourable/unfavourable reviews are almost certainly written by the companies themselves/competitors - look at the posting history of the person writing the review, so see whether they seem a credible source.

Overall, my impression is that Auriga have probably gone a bit downhill, but I'm not convinced they're worse than anyone else at Malaga airport, so personally I wouldn't change my booking at this stage. See what other people say...

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

Auriga Crown, Goldcar, Record renta car tend to be the the busiest desks at Malaga airport as they offer the best prices thru loads of broker sites. With the best will in the world they cant avoid queues at the desks, as the airport built desks have room for a maximum of 4 staff to process paperwork/hand out keys.

At busy times there will always be a Q. Hetz, Sixt & Europcar staff are twiddling their thumbs, and have the time to offer exceptional service. Book with them & pay their rates.

Being busy does NOT excuse rudeness, i know, but bear in mind the hirers are eager to start their hols, the staff get frustrated with people who arent prepared with paperwork, licence, id, payment cards etc all leds to less than perfect situation.

The busest desks are bound to have more grumbles. Also a poor experience is far more likely to lead to a review than decent service.

London, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

Thanks so much! I've taken your advice and have cancelled with Aguria Crown and have booked something with Sixt (who have express collection too!).

4. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 August 2011, 12:39
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

I used the broker holiday autos to rent a car for 16 days, from the train station at Malaga. Having read reviews I was fretting a little over possible issues - I needn't have worried.

I was given a almost new corsa (only 2000 miles), was given the car with a 1/4 tank and asked to return it the same and no hard sell on extra insurance.

Service was swift and no problems to report.

A touch of luck probably but thought it might put someone out theres mind at rest!

scotland, uk
Level Contributor
218 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

I have used Auriga several times a year for past few years and have not had any problems. Yes, the desk is usually busy, mainly due to the competitive prices. Would not hesitate booking with them again

Birmingham
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

For 'Auriga Crown'(AC) read 'Arrogant Crooks'

I picked up a car in Seville on 25th April to be dropped off in Malaga on 3rd May.A few days into the hire I noticed that the ITV (Spanish MOT) on the tatty Kia Picanto was to expire on 30th of April.I contacted the agent Do You Spain who contacted AC in Chiclana de la Frontera, who said that if I went to that office straight away they would change the car.I drove the 30 or so kilometers to Chiclana and there was indeed a car ready for me, the (rude and arrogant) man in the office asked me for my credit card , and when I asked why he said that it was for the petrol.I said that I had hired the car on a full empty basis ,and would not require a full tank of petrol as I only intended to do a bit of local driving and then drive to Malaga, which would not require a full tank. He said that at that office the policy was full/full and that he could only give me a car with an empty tank if one was brought back empty which was contrary to company policy! Having already paid over the odds for the first tank I refused to do the same.He told me to come back the next day and if there was one brought back empty I could have it.So I returned again the next day to find the office deserted.At this point I gave up and decided to just keep hold of the now illegal car.In short, Auriga Crown are more interested in profiteering by overcharging for petrol, than in the safety and convenience of their customers.AVOID AURIGA CROWN

8. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 08:41
London, England
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

I rented a car with Auriga crown earlier in the year and had no problem at all.

Maybe attitude problems and rudeness are a two way process?

10. Re: Auriga Crown Car Hire Malaga - Poor Reviews

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2015, 08:41