We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

Which Costa del Sol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

I am going to a wedding on July 7 in Valencia, Spain. I would like to travel for about 8 or 9 days after the wedding to Granada, Malaga, Seville, along the coast, and maybe a ferry to Morocco. I'm trying to figure out how much I can fit in by train and where is realistic to go in that time frame. I'm guessing renting a car is not a good idea since I would not be returning the car to Valencia. I am flying in and out of Madrid, so I am thinking I would end in Seville and take a train or flight back to Madrid. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,364 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

One option is to take the overnight train valencia to Granada, spend one night (visit Alhambra, pre book), Then take the bus to malaga (no train connection), spend 3 nights (trips to ronda and mijas (white village), train Malaga to Seville,

spend 3 nights (trip to carmona), train seville to cadiz 2 night (ferry to morocco) Train to Madrid is worth 1 night stay

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,499 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

Am very comfortable with Ian's trip, lots of nice places to go. While in Madrid, if you need a day trip l would go to Segovia or Toledo, both very nice, Segovia has great FOOD. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
17,719 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

I think if I was doing this journey I would seriously look at flying from Valencia to Seville to begin with. I know that Ryanair have economical flights between these cities and maybe others. Ryanair is a hugely successful and largest European airline and they have a large base now at Seville airport. They attract people carrying hand luggage so with more bags expect the fare to increase and then add some extras like cost of allowing you to pay for the flight ! I have used them a lot and the Seville operation has not let me down so far. Research www.ryanair.com

Spanish airline IBERIA now linked with British Airways also fly this route.

From Seville you can plot your tour either by hire car or train/bus/taxi. Up to you. A one way car rental does not add much to a rental but shop around. Return the car to somewhere that is easiest to return back to Madrid if you go down this route. Maybe Seville to Cordoba eventually and take the Cordoba to Madrid fast AVE train and this will save stress and time. Or the other nice trains called ALTARIA or ALVIA. Plenty of choice.

If you decide to travel by train or bus in Andalucia then this is a well trodden path and you can get plenty of tips for the best routes.

If you really want to go to Morocco then maybe best to accomplish this after Seville by heading for the only two ferry ports in Southern Spain that take you over the Straits namely Tarifa or Algeciras. You can orgainise a trip but it will eat into your time in Andalucia and may not be ideal. Better in my opinion to head for some coast which in July is so popular !!! Cadiz is humming and if you like seaside then go !!!

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
13,748 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

You could hire a car in Valencia and drive down - as long as you hire from one of the larger companies they will allow you to drop the car off in Seville.

Ryanair also fly Valencia - Málaga, and the fares are often very low, but you'll need to learn to negotiate the vagaries of the Ryanair website, traps a-plenty for the unwary :-)

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
52,622 posts
3,394 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

b2k:

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

6. Re: Looking for ideas for travel in southern Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 19:53