We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do - South Spain

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do - South Spain

I am planning a trip to Spain and Portugal next year with 3 other friends. I'm looking after the Southern Spain part of the trip, and we will be driving. I've allowed 10 days, and have mapped out a trip that takes us from Madrid > Aranjuez > Valencia > Murcia > Granada > Malaga > Ronda > Cordoba > Seville > Merida then back to Madrid (so we can fly out to Lisbon). I've found a few suggestions of things to see and do, including a palace in Aranjuez, cathedrals in Murcia, Alhambra in Granada, the Rock of Gibralter, birthplace of Pablo Picasso (Malaga), visiting a Mezquita in Cordoba and Chichen Itza in Merida.

What do other travelers who have been to Spain think of this? Are we trying to do too much? Any suggestions on places not to miss (or places to avoid)? My friends and I love nature, historical places, food, wine and festivals. We will be traveling in June / July next year.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,524 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do - South Spain

It is a lot to cover in ten days and one way car rental will be very expensive.

Read Top Questions "What is the driving guide for foreigners"

There is also information for your journey.

Check the route planner for a road itinerary pattern www.viamichelin.com

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Accommodation www.venere.com

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do - South Spain

Pipsqueak:

Merida in Spain has no Chichen Itza, but Merida in Mexico does have this Maya monument, which I went to in my earlier years. However Merida in Extremadura is a beautiful city and you can see the Museum of Roman Art, a spectacular museum. There are also the Roman Theater and Amphitheater to see.

Read Buying Alhambra Tickets Online.

Definitely come to Malaga. Read the top questions in the Malaga Forum. I recommend you see the Carmen Thyssen Museum and the Glass and Crystal Museum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do - South Spain

Thanks for the websites and links - thought it was strange that Spain would have a Mayan site.

I'll be returning the car to Madrid, so there shouldn't be a one way fee. It's early stages of our research yet, but every piece of information I get is helpful so thank you!

Charlottesville...
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do - South Spain

Aranjuez is lovely! We were just there last weekend and enjoyed it tremendously. You can take an English language tour of the palace. Don't miss the little museum in the royal gardens dedicated to the royal boats called Faluas. The tours are only in Spanish but all the signs are bilingual and the boats are gorgeous!

Merida is also incredible! We adored the Roman sites there especially the theater and the museum. A nice thing there is the the Parador (which is a state run hotel) has a deal where you can have a room, their incredible brunch and tickets to the museum for the price of the room. We enjoyed that very much.

The cathedral (mezquita) in Cordoba is also very much worth the trip as is the Giralda in Seville. And if I had more time this summer I would go to the crystal and glass museum in Malaga as well! As for the Pueblos Blancos (the white villages of which Ronda is one) my favorite is Arcos de la Frontera. My favorite church in all of Spain is there on the fortified mountain top. It's a tiny little basilica, but very beautiful.

5. Re: Things to do - South Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 13:18