We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

Bangkok
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

Hi all,

I plan to take a train from Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf on the Saturday during the Easter weekend. The schedule on bahn.com shows the prices for ICE and IC trains but no fare information for RE. Since regional train is slower, I'm assuming that it's cheaper. Does anyone know how much it would be and will there be so much demand that it's difficult to buy from the ticket machine on that Saturday? Oh and does the ticket allow transfer to another transport like bus or subway? Thanks in advance.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,088 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

You can buy a "Schöner Tag Ticket"

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day

up to 5 persons 37,50 Euro, single person 27 Euro.

and it´s valid for all regional trains, buses, trams, S Bahnen , subways, ASO

bahn.de/regional/…schoenertag_ticket.shtml

But perhaps in your case a normal ticket would be cheaper, I´m not sure.

Edited: 29 February 2012, 20:50
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,397 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

VRS tariff applies.

Single ticket adult is EUR 10,40 (EinzelTicket Erwachsene).

Day ticket is EUR 22,00 (TagesTicket 1 Person).

Mini group (2-5 persons) day ticket is EUR 31,30 (TagesTicket 5 Personen).

VRS tickets are zone-to-zone (city-to-city) local public transport tickets. Covering all local public transport (regional trains, S-Bahn, Stadtbahn, trams and buses) in and between both cities.

> will there be so much demand that it's difficult to buy from the ticket machine on that Saturday.

I would not expect that much demand on a Saturday. Most locals using public transport have anyway there monthly travel passes.

Cologne, Italy
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

me and my friend will go to Köln from Dusseldorf by train and we have a full day there and stay the night. Do we need local transport in Köln a lot ?

our hotel is by the central station

That mini group day ticket which is € 31,30 ;

it will save us Dusseldorf -Köln which is 10,40+10,40 = 20,80

Does it make sense to pay 10,5 € more and get the right of a free local transport or they are all in walking distance ,the places we will wonder in Köln?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,397 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

Most sights in Cologne are in the Altstadt (old city) and thus in walking distance. Cologne cathedral is even directly next to Köln Hbf (main train station). I would use the single tickets in this case.

Cologne, Italy
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

@Abalada, thank you . I was just lost in bahn.de :) trying to find about mini-grup tickets etc.But site not in English at some points.

We (2 person) will arrive in Dusseldorf Int.Airport Friday afternoon 15:00.

It seems i will have a train to the Duss. Hbf and my hotel just 500 mt distance.

Will spend Saturday in Dusseldorf ;but dont know what to do(havent worked out yet) And Sunday morning will go to Köln with train,1 day in Köln and Monday morning 06:46 am train to Amsterdam ,which i bought the tickets.

Isthere some sort of ticket which covers for 3 days ,which will include Dusseldorf Airport to Hbf train on Friday + Saturday transport in Dusseldorf+Sunday dusseldorf-Koln train ;something like 72 hr mini group ticket?

Is Bingen or Koblenz in NRW state or not?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,088 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

No, Bingen and Koblenz are in Rheinland Pfalz. (Rhineland Palatinate).

I don´t know about such a ticket but abalada might be better informed.

As he has already told you, most relevant sites for tourists are within walking distance in Cologne. But if you are spending some hours in the area around "Zülpicher Platz" or the "Belgisches Viertel" ,both are well known for nightlife for younger people and students (not only) you might want to get back to your hotel either by tram or cab.

7. Re: Dusseldorf Hbf to Koln Hbf by RE Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2013, 20:14