We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Me and my family are flying from, Budapest to Dusseldorf, where we have around 4 hours before we need to check in for our connecting flight to Birmingham, UK. Both of our flights are with Eurowings. Can we check our bags through to Birmingham, but go into the arrivals area for a couple of hours, in order to meet up with some friends at the airport?

8 replies to this topic
SaarLouis, Germany
Level Contributor
629 posts
1. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

If you have a through ticket, you should not have to check in in Düsseldorf (but get all your boarding passes in Budapest). If you have separate tickets, your luggage might not be checked through. Either way, leaving the secure area should be possible.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Ok, that’s good. We have bought through tickets to Birmingham. I am just a bit worried, that if we decide to go into the landside airport area, that someone might think we no longer wish to travel, and decide to offload of Bags from our connecting flight.

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Nobody checks where you are going upon arrival. Just start the walk to the gate of your onward flight with enough leeway for security and exit passport control as you will then leave Schengen Europe.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

They will only start unloading your bags if you didn‘t board the aircraft at the designated time.

No one will ever know you‘ve left the airport....nor will they care about it. You don‘t need to scan your boarding pass or anything to leave the airport.

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
855 posts
292 reviews
5. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Of course, your baggage will checked through. And when checking in in Budapest (you can do the online check-in 23 hours before departure) you will also get your boarding pass for Birmingham.

So, after landing in Düsseldorf, you go through passport control to the exit. You will be in Terminal A which has two exits. Either you go downstairs to the baggage claim which is on the (lower) arrivals level or you go through the handbaggage exit which is on the departure level (the same level as the gates). To meet friends, the departure level is much nicer (in terms of bars and restaurants). (If your plane has a tarmac position and you are bussed to the terminal, you will arrive on the lower level. To reach the handbaggage exit, follow the sign "connecting flights" and you will go upstairs onto the departure level where you find the handbaggage exit.)

In any case, you are free to leave the security area. Some 40 minutes before departure (depending on how crowded it is a the security check), you should go with your boarding pass through security and to your departure gate to Birmingham.

Düsseldorf Airport is very compact, especially Terminal A (the Eurowings/Lufthansa terminal).

UK
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

"So, after landing in Düsseldorf, you go through passport control to the exit"

Both Hungary and Germany were in Schengen last time I looked...

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Yes, sure, you can. If you had more time, you could even leave the airport. You just have to go through security once again.

And please note that there are some problems with security in Düsseldorf. As far as I understand it, there isn't enough staff, which may result in long queues. So, allow enough time for it. And there is an airside connection between terminal 1 and terminal 2. This means, don't go though security where your flight departs, but where the queues are shortest. Even if it's the "wrong" terminal, you'll still reach the right one after security.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
1 review
8. Re: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?

Yes, your luggage will be checked through. And you can leave in the meantime the security area.... :)

Reply to: Can I check my bags through, but go into arrivals?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dusseldorf