We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Hi, I've just booked flights from London Heathrow to New York Newark via Dusseldorf.

The 1st portion i've now found out from Heathrow to Dusseldorf is operated by Eurowings whilst the 2nd portion is a Lufthansa flight. When I booked it both were marked as Lufthansa!

Both Eurowings and Lufthansa call centres haven't filled me with confidence and neither seemed really sure of how the connections work at Dusseldorf.

If anyone has experiences of connecting between the two i'd love to hear it. I've managed to ascertain that the luggage should be checked through from Heathrow to Newark without needing baggage reclaim and that both flights *should use Terminal A in Dusseldorf. However the Schengen process there seems a bit vague (I'm a British passport holder btw) and neither helpdesk could confirm what passport/security checks I needed to go through. My transfer time is 60 minutes.

I'm really looking for a Dusseldorf airport expert please!

33 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
1 review
1. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Yes, you will arrive at the Non-Schengen Area of Terminal A (Star Alliance/Eurowings/Germanwings).

And you will depart from the same area (also Terminal A Non-Schengen).

And technically, you leave the plane (or bus) and you are right there. I would guess that all gates in this area are walkable within 2 minutes max :) [you do not have to go to passport control as you will connect to non-schengen]. It is very easy to connect there!

Just be aware that there are no shops at the non-schengen area (also no lounge). for all of these things you have to pass through passport control to the Schengen Area of Terminal A and then reenter to board LH408 to Newark.

1 post
2. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Hi there,

I'm hoping you can help me.

I am flying from LDN heathrow into Dusseldorf airport via BA for a connecting flight via Air berlin to Dominican Republic.

I have 50 minutes in total to get to the second terminal in Dusseldorf. Is this achievable?

Thanks in advance!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
1 review
3. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Yes - you will arrive in Terminal B (small immigration counter mainly for BA / will take 5 mins)... walk to Terminal C and again passport control (ca 10-15 Mins). That's it.

So, in case your flight gets in on time, it should easily work. And most of the AB longhaul flights wait for connex pax.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Superb thankyou.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
5. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Hi I am due to take a similar route but the opposite way around, New York transferring at Düsseldorf to Manchester, did you find the process easy, we have 40 minutes between landing and flying out.

2 posts
6. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Hi, I'm not travelling until late August.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
1 review
7. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

Also EWR - DUS - MAN is an easy way to go.

Lufthansa gets into DUS as one of the first flights of the day. When you jump off the plane quick, you can be at the gate for Manchester in approx 3-5 Mins.

Anyway, Lufthansa/Eurowings/Germanwings knows their stuff in Düsseldorf. If connex get too sharp, the will help you,

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
8. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

The Uk media has been full of horror stories regarding new non-schengen checks due to be put in place across Europe by October. Has the process changed at all from the above for a LHR-DUS-EWR connecting flight (Eurowings/Lufthansa)? I suspect its just media nonsense but would be good to get some reassurance

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,684 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

London is a non-Schengen destination and Newark is a non-schengen destination as well, you will not even have to go through immigration. And in anyway, if I hadn't heard it on the news I wouldn't even know that they changed the procedures. German immigration is and always has been way faster than immigration in the UK. So it does indeed sound like media non-sense, as for Germany that is, can't speak for all Schengen countries.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Dusseldorf
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
1 review
10. Re: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight

The EWR/DUS/LON connex will take you approx. 1 minute.

The non-schengen area in Terminal A is very small - e.g. you leave your plane from LHR and you are actually in front of the gates (5 or so) to the other non-schengen flights (incl. EWR). You do not have to exit this area - e.g. no passport control. (only at the gate then)

Reply to: Dusseldorf Airport Connecting Flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dusseldorf