We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cologne Airport to Dortmund

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Cologne Airport to Dortmund

Coming from Cologne Airport on Wed 6th return Fri 8th. for the Liverpool game on the 7th.

Researched trains but do I have to book in advance to get the best fares or can I buy tickets on the day. Do they fluctuate in price?

I will have a match ticket but does this only qualify for free travel on match day and is it only in Dortmund itself?

Staying in Ringhole Drees near the ground both nights.

Is the bus worth considering? Only two traveling so a taxi is too expensive.

Any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Dortmund
Dortmund
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cologne Airport to Dortmund

You don't need to buy the tickets in advance. Regional train fares are always the same.

The match ticket includes a public transportation ticket on match day only within the VRR area. The VRR goes as far as Düsseldorf but not to Cologne.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cologne Airport to Dortmund

Thank so much

So I assume I can buy tickets from a machine and with a credit card or at a ticket office in the rail station/airport as I arrive?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cologne Airport to Dortmund

Yes, you can buy it from the ticket machines. As for credit card payment, I am not sure.

For local transportation tickets (VRS) within Cologne, the machine does not accept credit cards, for regular DB tariff tickets it does. (Yes, that is strange) You will buy an NRW Tariff ticket, and I am not sure whether it's classified as a DB tariff. I would assume: yes so you should be able to use your credit card.

The DB ticket office at the airport should also accept credit cards.

Mentioned in this post
Cologne
Cologne
4. Re: Cologne Airport to Dortmund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2017, 05:17