We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

Nice, France
3 posts
1 review
Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

I would like to warn you for Sixt in Frankfurt. When we returned the car we checked the outside of the car with their staff to make sure there were no extra damages since we rented it in the morning with some damages/scratches. However, some days later we receive an invoice for 850 EURO for damage that occured during the rental period according to Sixt. Of course, we have no proof, you do not take photos of an undamaged car. Moreover, they do not reply to our letters and complaints, they keep sending the same standard answer with some photos, they excuse themselves for the bad quality of the photos :) but will not contact the person who checked the car with us in Frankfurt upon returning. No more car rentals from Sixt for us, because there is no way to avoid this kind of problem.

Anybody else with the same problem?

171 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,097 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

you do admit that they sent you some photos, so if these were taken, it must mean that there WAS in fact some damage, yet you say that when you took the car it was undamaged.

if you feel that the charge was not legitimate, get your cc company to dispute the debit on your card!

actually, re reading your comment, it appears that you have not actually had anything taken from your cc, and that sixt are billing you direct? That sounds pretty impossible as they do have authority to debit your card.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,485 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

I believe that in FRA all car returns are handled centraly rather than by individual rental companies, This seems to result in a lot of damage claims for small things that get classed as wear and tear when signed out.

Nice, France
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

We rented it in the morning with some damage and scratches from earlier rentals. But there were no new scratches when we returned it, this was confirmed by the Sixt staff upon returning. They do not take the money from our cc, we have to send them a banktransfer. The photos that they sent could be of any car and any damage, they are not clear at all. To avoid further problems we will pay their invoice but no more Sixt for us.

Frankfurt
Level Contributor
543 posts
136 reviews
4. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

I would not pay the invoice if you are sure there was no damage. In these cases I always send back a message stating that there was no damage when the car was returned. Never hear from them again.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,097 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

i agree. do not send them any money. there is something not quite right here. rental companies rarely if ever send an invoice asking for money. when you sign accepting their terms and conditions, you are giving them the authority to deduct payment for any damage directly from your credit card. they will not operate on the basis of sending out bills, as these would be unlikely to be paid.

DONT send any money by transfer, as it could be an external scam.

i get "bills" from phone companies that i do in fact use, but when i query the company direct, it turns out that they are scams by third parties.

so i repeat...DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY ! if it is genuine, then sixt will contact you directly,and you can refuse to pay.

Churchville...
1 post
2 reviews
6. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

The same story with me. The damage that appeared out of nowhere, the demand to pay for it EVEN THOUGH I HAD ZERO DEDUCTIBLE.

Clearly, this is a fraud.

What is really worrysome, is that this fraud appears to be systematic with Sixt.

It means that they have a company policy to fraudulently charge clients for nonexisting damagesm even with zero deductibles, on the pretext that they "did not file a police report".

DO NOT RENT WITH SIXT, and if you rent, DO NOT PAY THEM.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,097 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

as i said above. no rental company will send you a demand for payment, as they will have the right to charge your cc. in this case, you had no excess, so the demand is clearly a scam. nothing to do with sixt. it is unfair to blame them that is something outside their control, but i recommend that you advise them of the demand.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
5,186 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

Be careful with National Citer in Paris, called National Car Rental in other countries. They charged me for a windshield which I didn't break, and to add insult to injury, after several letters they refunded about a third of the price of that windshield.

Needless to say, I'm not ever using them again, in any country.

And it's always a good idea to inspect a rental car meticulously for any scratches and other damage and have them make a note of it.

And it's an even better idea not to rent a car and not to take a taxi anywhere in the world, but take public transport instead.

Edited: 28 September 2014, 20:22
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,097 posts
78 reviews
9. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

you seem to be on the wrong forum. this is not about national in paris.

10. Re: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2017, 04:30

Reply to: Be careful with Sixt and damaged/scratched cars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted