We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
nottingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

Hi, I'm on a training course for a week in May (Mon to Fri) and my wife is coming along for a break. She will have the days to herself but we will have the evenings together. Any advice on "must do" stuff for her during the day and for us both in the evening would be welcome. Also any similar advice for places to eat?

Additionally what's the best location for accommodation considering the above? FYI My course is at the Messeturm

We get the train to the Black Forest region on the Friday, so any advice about using the main train station would be welcome

Thanks

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/detail.php…

start with this, your wife can do a lot without getting bored, if she likes egyptien things this might interest her tut-ausstellung.com/en/… shopping,

Palmengarten, Zoo and lots of Museums are another option.

See if you can prebook your ticket to the black forrest to get it cheaper http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml.

Since I don't know what you like no advise on restaurants, there are a lot in

Frankfurt.

Using a trainstation? Very much like in GB, go in buy ticket, find track and leave, all long distance trains are at ground level.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 12:39
New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

Goethestrasse and the Fressgasse for food and shopping and watching Frankfurters go by. Friedrichs offers great deals on unique estate jewelry. Lots of good museums. Mainz is easy to see in a day and only a short train ride away. Wiesbaden is less interesting but also worth a day. Darmstadt was hurt by the war but has a good museum and the Matildenhoehe.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

If she wants to venture out she could also go to Heidelberg, Hanau, Aschaffenburg, take a day cruise on the Mainriver from Hanau to Seligenstadt

see the monastary have some beer, she could go to the Rine valley, there are endless possabilities to be reached in short time from Frankfurt.

Zeil for shopping.

nottingham
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

Thanks for the replies

New York
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

Coming back to address hotels - the train station has hotels close by but I prefer walking about 4 more blocks to the West End - it is full of mid-sized hotels with reasonable prices. They are not far from the Messe Turm. Do be sure you don't happen to be there during a trade fair. Then even closets get rented out. If you shift emphasis from convenience to food, then I recommend Hotel/Restaurant Brigella for good, reasonably priced accommodation and excellent (more expensive but still reasonably priced) food. It has a street car stop about 100 yards/meters away and you are in town very quickly. BUT it is not an area with nice shops. Just residential. As to the train station....you come out the front and turn left to get to the West End.

6. Re: A week to spend in Frankfurt at the beginning of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 13:40