We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Germany Rail Pass

Which Frankfurt hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheesetsml02
7 posts
Save Topic
Germany Rail Pass

I will be in Germany for 7 days. I am planning to get a pass. what will it did not cover under the pass?

I will go from Frankfurt airport to Koln to Berlin to Munich to Frankfurt airport.

Also, if i get a pass and need to do some reservation on some of the train do i need to pay extra for it? Do i reservation online or i can go to train station to do it?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Germany Rail Pass

>I will be in Germany for 7 days. I am planning to get a pass. what will it did not cover under the pass?

Anything that is either run by DB or the partner companies ("private" railways) is covered. City transportation (subway, trams, buses etc.) is usually not covered. In night trains, the accommodation fee is not covered.

>I will go from Frankfurt airport to Koln to Berlin to Munich to Frankfurt airport.

I don't see any problems.

>Also, if i get a pass and need to do some reservation on some of the train do i need to pay extra for it?

If you want to reserve a seat you have to pay for it, yes. 4 € per seat, including one change of train. But it is optional.

>Do i reservation online or i can go to train station to do it?

You can do both.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Germany Rail Pass

1. Buy Rail&Fly tickets for the Frankfurt Airport-Koeln and Munich-Frankfurt Airport journeys from your airline

2. Buy regular rail tickets in advance from bahn.de for Koeln-Berlin and Berlin-Munich.

cheesetsml02
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Germany Rail Pass

Will flying take me more time and more expensive?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Germany Rail Pass

Bahn.de gives you train times.

Check the airlines for flight times and add an hour to get checked in, transit time to and from and another half hour to get bags and get out.

Compare the two and decide.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Germany Rail Pass

>Check the airlines for flight times and add an hour to get checked in,

Considering that at airports like Munich the trip to the airport alone will take 3/4 hour, let's say 2 h for transit and check-in. This is still very optimistic.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,555 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Germany Rail Pass

If you like to have it flexible use the rail pass. With the rail pass you can just hop on and hop off the trains. The places on your itinerary are connected at least hourly by trains.

cheesetsml02
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Germany Rail Pass

ya~ i will go by train since is much easier~

thx for all the suggestion

cheesetsml02
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Germany Rail Pass

Will the germany pass cover the local train in berlin and Munich?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,707 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Germany Rail Pass

>Will the germany pass cover the local train in berlin and Munich?

Depending on what you mean with "local trains".

Local/suburban services run by DB are covered. Normal city transportation (subways, trams, buses etc.) isn't.

10. Re: Germany Rail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 05:23