We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Frankfurt in March

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
460 posts
8 reviews
2 nights in Frankfurt in March

Hi All

I will be in Frankfurt in mid March for 2 nights. I know that Frankfurt is not really a tourist city, but I was wondering if you could recommend things I can do there in March.

- I am interested in photography, what are some of the viewpoints from where I can get some nice photos of the city from above?

- Any advice on where I can find the best Wiener Schnitzel in Frankfurt?

- I know that Germany has amazing bakeries, is there any particular one I should visit to get my morning coffee and nice croissant or sweet pastry?

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,883 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March

What makes you think Frankfurt is not touristy? Millions of tourists come every year for the museums, the riverwalk, the old town, shopping and what not. With the "new" reconstructed old town opening in the fall it will only increase.

Frankfurt is compact and the downtown area mostly car free, so depending on where you are staying, it should be easy to just walk around.

Best viewpoints are on the bridges and also the Department store Kaufhof Galeria has a rooftop restaurant/cafeterie with great views of the Skline. The Maintower has a observation deck that is rather popular for photographers

If the weather is nice, walk along the river, it is rather nice all the way to the European Central Bank. There is a new sports park there that is popular and also a nice lunch restaurant called Osten.

On the opposite of the river you will have the museum row with some world class museums like the Städel that is kinda the Frankfurt Louvre. Also worth checking out is the Film Museum and the Architecture Museuem or the Museum of culteres, there are all next to each other. Frankfurt is a rich town and spends more money per capita on culture vs any other city in Europe. Also check on the Schirn Kunsthalle as they usually they have some intersting exhibits.

If you are there during a Thursday or Saturday, go to the Konstablerwache for the farmers market where you can buy produce, but people come there for the winestands, there is even a good bio beer stand and the food.

The Kleinmarkthalle is great too thruout the week, you can taste food from all over the World. For that is Münchener Strasse too, not as scenic, but even the New York Times called it a must visit place in 2018.

As for Schnitzel, cross the river and visit old Sachsenhausen, cobblestone streets and plenty of bars to have a drink before going back, but the main attractions are the Applewine Taverns, some are over 100 years old and serve excellent local food. My favorites are around Affentorplatz and called Struwwelpeter, Dauth Schneider or Atschel

There are different varieties of Schnitzel, the plaine one, the Zigeuner Schnitzel that comes with a good onion/paprica souce or the Jäger Schnitzel with mushroom sauce. The Frankfurt Schnitzel comes with green sauce(made out of 7 herbs and spices) that is a local specialty, must try!

A lot of restaurants have Mittagstisch which means lunch specials and they offer different creations for a rather cheap price.

If you are here on a Monday, go to the above mentioned Struwwelpeter as it is there Schnitzelday, all Schnitzel are €6.90 which is a crazy value for what you get(excluded is the Frankfurt Schnitzel as the greeen souce is pricy)

Wow, I wrote a lot, hope that helped a little. Frankfurt has a lot to offer and I did not even mentioned that we have the biggest city forest in Europe.....

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,253 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March

For great views from above check out Maintower https://www.maintower.de/en/ and the belltower of St Bartholomäus cathedral (328 stairs to climb). The area around Oosten and the ECB offers great perspectives of the skyline as well.

For the most amazing pastry check out the japanese-french Iimori near Paulskirche. Best local coffee: Wacker.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March

The Luminale will be happening from 18-23 March. For photographers, this is a must. Hope you will be here then.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
4. Re: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March

When are you going? I will also be there and have an interest in photography...

I know some people there who may be able to give us some tips of places

New York City, New...
1 post
5. Re: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March

Thanks for all the great Frankfurt sightseeing and restaurant tips. We're going for 2 nights this September. So these tips are very helpful for us.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
19,883 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March

From March 23rd there will be also Dippemess time, which is a huge fun fair. Not only the flatrides are fun to take pictures of at night with there extensive light packages.

Also there will be the Oktoberfest Ferris Wheel which will provide you with incredible views of the Skyline and city. Plus great food !

Reply to: 2 nights in Frankfurt in March
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted