We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

Montreal
1 post
7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

My friend and I have booked airfare in/out of Berlin in May but haven't booked accommodations yet (prob airbnb) ... we're thinking of splitting our time between Berlin and Munich but I would love suggestions. Should we stay in Berlin the whole time and just do day trips? Will it take too much time to take the train in/out of Munich - since we have to fly out of Berlin? We want to be considerate of budget and safety as well since we're two females traveling by ourselves.

thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,935 Reviews
from US$16.30*
Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
589 Reviews
from US$37.20*
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

Do you have full 7 days, and not including the day you arrive and leave? I don't know what your interests are, but for 7 days, I would not go to Munich, I would spend the time in Berlin and surrounds. You can easily do day trips to Leipzig or Dresden. Go to the respective forums and read what you can see there.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,470 posts
660 reviews
2. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

With 7 days you have a few options. I would definitely stick with Berlin for 4-5 days. If you have specific interests in Munich than 2 days would be good for it. If you don't than just stick with Berlin the entire time.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,191 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

Yes stay in Berlin the whole time, maybe a day-trip to Dresden or Leipzig, definitely a day in Potsdam.

Munich is a lot more expensive than Berlin and since you have to get back to Berlin to fly home there is no point in wasting all those hours on a train twice to have a day in Munich.

You will probably find plenty to do just in in Berlin + Potsdam.

Dresden is just over 2 hours, Leipzig not much over an hour by fast train (But Dresden is more beautiful).

Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
65 reviews
4. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

7 days are too short to be split between Berlin and Munich without an open-jaw flight. You'd waste a whole day just travelling between the two. Potsdam, Leipzig, Dresden are already mentioned as feasible sidetrips. Also, Berlin is surrounded by lakes and the Spreewald with its unique waterways luebbenau-spreewald.com/pages/en/home.php… is within easy reach, so there are plenty of options to escape the city if you feel like you need a break from the hustle and bustle.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
878 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

You could consider Hamburg as well. ICE trains only take 1:40 hours between both cities and are affordable if booked in advance.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

"7 days are too short to split between Berlin and Munich without an open jaw flight. You'd waste a day just travelling between the two"...well yes,if you're driving. Not if you fly.

Edited: 16 March 2016, 14:43
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
329 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

Train time is between 7hrs45min and 5hrs15min,whereas flight time is only a little over 1 hour. Going by horse or transport-llama might take longer.

Oh and the original poster mentioned a concern about safety. I've been very thoroughly assured by various individuals on here that Germany is completely safe in every single way and that one has absolutely nothing at all to be concerned about. You are apparently far more likely according to some on here to encounter danger and crime at the hands of tourists so you should be safe.

Edited: 16 March 2016, 14:52
Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,624 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

So you checked the flight times and the train times, Thamesradar. Did you also check how long it takes to get from Munich airport into the city? If you take that into account you lose the better part of a day, no matter how you travel from Berlin to Munich.

As to your other remarks, I am deeply impressed by your knowledge of the situation over here. That is something I did not expect from someone who lives in a city as safe as Joburg.

Edited: 16 March 2016, 15:27
Mainz, Germany
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
65 reviews
9. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

"whereas flight time is only a little over 1 hour"

...if you have a helicopter waiting on your hotel's rooftop. In Berlin, the average tourist has to take a bus from the city out to the airport, be there 90 minutes ahead of departure for check-in and security (you know how much emphasis is put on safety in Germany...) and after arrival and baggage pick-up in Munich a 45-minutes trainride into town awaits the traveler. So all in all 4,5 to 5 hours are easily spent getting from A to B, the same back to A. True: That is slightly quicker than the train which needs at least 6:15 hours from Hbf to Hbf. Anyway, that is the better part of two half days wasted.

Edited: 16 March 2016, 15:36
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: 7 days in Germany ... where to go and what to see?

Missyjean, don't worry about safety. Berlin is a safe city, I'd say on a par with Montréal where I felt perfectly safe as a lone tourist staying in the Village. The areas of Berlin that are less safe are areas where a tourist is unlikely to be.