We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin with teens

Hamilton, Canada
7 posts
Berlin with teens

WE will be in Germnay this summer and with 3 teens (18-12) in tow. What are the must sees and must avoids?

Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,929 Reviews
from US$16.30*
Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
589 Reviews
from US$37.20*
Kaarst, Germany
Level Contributor
121 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Berlin with teens

Hi,

I know that history can be boring at this age, but you should try the museum "Story of Berlin" . It compares living in Berlin through the ages, including a comparison of eastern an western Germany.

A ride to the top of the TV-Tower at Alexanderplatz may be nice too.Requires some waiting time.

If weather is good, a small cruise with one of the ships will lead you through town and make a nicer kind of City tour than using a bus. Usually you will find their brochures at the hotel.

Thinking of Berlin I cannot imagine anything to avoid ;-)

Burbank, California
9 posts
2. Re: Berlin with teens

Guten Tag! My name is Lesley and I am a Trip Developer and Operations Manager for Adventures by Disney. Happy to hear that you’ll be visiting my homeland during such a great time of year! I wanted to share a few suggestions for your visit to Berlin.

If history is your thing:

- Visit the Memorial of the Berlin Wall in the heart of the city. The Memorial has a Visitor’s Center and quite the section of the original wall. There is also the German History Museum showcasing Germany’s 2,000 year history with 800,000+ artifacts. Admission is 6 Euros, about $10, so well worth the cost.

If you are looking for something more active:

- Biking is a great way to see the city. A guided bike tour may be the perfect fit for your family. Not only will you be with a German/English speaking Guide, but you’ll have the comfort in knowing that they not only know their way around, but will be able to offer incredible insight into the city.

- Visit Grunewald. It is located just outside of the city and encompasses Berlin’s largest forest. You can pack a picnic and enjoy hiking through the woods, bicycling, or horseback riding. You can even take a swim in one of the freshwater lakes.

Last but not least, enjoy the open air markets. Try a bratwurst from a vendor and then top it off with some warm apple strudel!

Enjoy your trip!

Lesley

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
22,155 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Berlin with teens

Hope you are a bit interested in history as Berlin is a fascinating city historically. For some general ideas of things to do (incl. other viewing points apart from the TV Tower have a look at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-c4041/Berlin:…

I'm not a fan of Story of Berlin myself. I once went with a group of English schoolkids aged 9 to 13 and they really needed their teachers to help them decipher it. To me personally it had too many special effects (I'm a traditionalist!) and when my son visited it with his class (they were 17 year olds who do know about German history) he wasn't that keen either.

When he was 12, as a family we visited Märkisches Museum which is a more traditional presentation of aspects the history of Berlin and we all enjoyed it. Since then the DDR-Museum has opened which is interactive but not gimmicky and good to get some insights into life in the GDR.

The Deutsches Historisches Museum (German Historical Museum) is huge and very interesting but I don't think particularly good for teenagers, at least not non-German ones who are used to a different approach in museums (the DDR_Museum stands out because it is more "lively" than most, but still recognisably a museum). In the DHM you really need to choose one period to focus on, it's impossible to see it all in one visit.

The Berlin Wall info centre at Bernauer Strasse is very interesting www.berliner-mauer-gedenkstaette.de/en/

However the 12-year-old (especially might enjoy Checkpoint Charlie Museum more as it has many objects from actual escapes.

for getting around you can use the Kleingruppenkarte which is for up to 5 people and around 15€ for the day. 100 & 200 buses, also the M29 are good for getting between sights, all double-deckers.

I think a walking tour is worth considering but would say a coach tour is less worthwhile. If you pick up the map of their routes you can see you can do it easily by ordinary bus.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 20:00
Hamilton, Canada
7 posts
4. Re: Berlin with teens

Thank you for the information. This will help planning our trip.

Berlin
Level Contributor
174 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Berlin with teens

You might find some additional ideas in a previous post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k5208…

6. Re: Berlin with teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 17:15