We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

During our trip to Berlin at Easter I am hoping to put together a half day self-guided trail visiting as many sites related to Brecht and, in particular, Weill's lives in the city. So far I've only located Brecht's grave at Dorotheenstadt (www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi…) and wondered whether anyone on TA could throw anything else into the mix?

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
9,869 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Berliner Ensemble?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Thank you - do you know whether it is possible to take a backstage tour of the Berliner Ensemble Schiffbauerdamm building? Or even just to access the foyer during the day to take some interior photos? The website is in German only (unless I've missed the translation button) and mine is too rusty to understand much!

For the Brecht Haus at Chausseestraße 125 - does anyone know how to book onto one of the guided tours of the Brecht/Weigel Archive mentioned here: adk.de/de/…brechtweigel_memorial_centres.htm (and has anyone been, any tips?) Is the restaurant in the basement open during the day for lunch or is it evening supper only? Again I can only find information in German for the restaurant here: www.brechtkeller.de/Kellerrestaurant.html

As far as finding anything to visit re: Kurt Weill I'm drawing a real blank beyond his school/university and old residences none of which seem to be open as museums or similar...

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Not much help, but also see this: ganymed-brasserie.de/wordpress/…

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

I visited Brecht's apartment on Chausseestrasse a few years ago; I turned up on a Saturday morning (we were renting an apartment just round the corner) and was shown round. I was the only visitor then; a couple of friends of mine visited the following year, again just turning up (this was a few years ago).

I suggest you send an email and ask them if you have to pre-book. It says max of 8, gives no minimum number.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Thanks Lynda - I will send out an email enquiry as it's part of a special day but it's good to hear that you were shown around. Did you try the restaurant in the basement? The one that serves food cooked according to recipes by Brecht's wife...

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

What you really MUST do is go to see something at the Berliner Ensemble. Check the programme (the April one should come out sometime in February) http://www.berliner-ensemble.de/spielplan If you're lucky they may be doing one of Brecht's own plays while you're in Berlin.

On Tuesday I saw a wonderful production of The Caucasian Chalk Circle, and in November an equally good one of Mother Courage and her Children. Last year I saw Dreigroschenoper - a strange but very enjoyable production directed by the American Robert Wilson.

The "Spielplan" part of the website is not particularly user friendly, but I've managed it in the past. When it hasn't been co-operating, I've ordered and paid for tickets by phone. The number is 0049 30 28408 155, the staff speak English, and are friendly and helpful. The theatre is a couple of minutes' walk from Friedrichstrasse Bahnhof, across the Spree on Schiffbauerdamm.

Whatever you see at the BE, it's really terrific theatre. They are a real company of committed actors who have been working together for a long time: a few of the older actors go back to Brecht and Weigl days. Going there is always a good experience. Don't let not speaking/understanding German scare you. If you know in advance what play you are going to see and haven't already read it, you can read it in English a few days before: you'll know what's going on.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

As an update to this thread I have been lucky enough to co-ordinate this trail on a day when the Berliner Ensemble are presenting Robert Wilson's version of Die Dreigroschenoper and have got my tickets already - thanks for the heads up :-)

It's an afternoon walking trail and so far I've got:

Visit the Brechthaus (still to book a tour but email just sent)

Visit the grave at the cemetery next door...

Light early supper at Ganymed (a vegetarian flammkuchen - yum!)

Berliner Ensemble 18:00-21:00

I was then thinking of returning to the Brechthaus for a drink in the Kellerrestaurant but I'm struggling a bit with my German translation as to whether this is possible or whether it's a food-only type place - I can see that it's not a bar but I think that there might be some bar space for drinks only visitors? Can anybody help me with the following from their website:

"Das Kellerrestaurant verfügt über 40 Plätze im großen Gastraum und einen separaten Raum mit ca. 15 Plätzen an einem großen Tisch im unteren Gewölbe. Wer nur ein Getränk zu sich nehmen möchte, kann dieses in unserer bequemen Lounge in Ruhe genießen."

www.brechtkeller.de/Kellerrestaurant.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Lucky you! I've seen it twice, once in Athens a few years ago and once in Berlin, and would love to see it again, but so far haven't been able to coincide with it.

I don't know if you can just have a drink at the Kellerrestaurant. But since it's mainly a place to eat, and since the performance ends at 21:00, perhaps you could go for a late supper there instead of an early one at Ganymed. If you want a snack beforehand, there is a bar in the beautiful foyer at the Berliner Ensemble - it's nice to have a drink and a pretzel (they also have bouletten and wurst) there and watch the people arriving.

Edited: 13 March 2012, 10:53
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

That would be the ideal Alabastron but sadly medications mean early eating times for us - nice to know that we can get snacks in the foyer though if we are running late and have to give Ganymed a miss. We shall be coming from the Reichstag (midday tour) so will maybe try and grab a substantial lunch somewhere on the streets between there and the Brechthaus (any suggestions anyone?) and just top up with foyer snacks if needed. Ganymed doesn't get the greatest of reviews online but it was a venue that Brecht/Weill frequented in an earlier incarnation and I'm a sucker for flammkuchen so thought it might be worth squeezing into the itinerary ;-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill trails...

Understood.

If you're looking for a substantial traditional German lunch, how about Nolle, in Georgenstrasse, near the corner of Friedrichstrasse? Bill2p spoke enthusiastically about it a while ago here, it gets good reviews, and it's on the way from the Reichstag to Chausseestrasse. I haven't eaten there yet, but it's on my list to try.

www.berliner-antikmarkt.de/index.php?id=109

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187323-…

Edited: 13 March 2012, 12:04