We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December in Munich and Fussen

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
December in Munich and Fussen

My wife and I will be visiting Bavaria in December. December 7 - 12 to be exact. Our tentative plans are to spend a couple of days in Munich and travel by train to Fussen on Friday the 9th. We are thinking of staying in Fussen to take advantage of its sites and Christmas Market on Friday and seeing the two castles on Saturday. If we stay in Fussen, will there be any problem getting to and from Hohenschwangau? Or should we stay in Hohenschwangau? What I have read so far suggests more to do in Fussen. On Sunday, we planned on taking the train back to a hotel near the Munich airport for an early flight Monday. However, it seems that Sunday may be a wasted day unless there is something between to see. Any suggestions? Is Oberammergau worth the trip to see?

How far in advance should we buy our train tickets? Can I expect it to be crowded that time of year? Can we wait until we get to Munich to get our tickets?

Is there anything that I should be aware of or consider?

I know that's a lot of questions, but we would like to make the most out of this.

Thanks

Level Contributor
37 posts
311 reviews
11. Re: December in Munich and Fussen

Hi David - thank you for your post - we are going to Munich 23 - 30 December and II have been struggling with trying to do Neuschwanstein and Linderhof or just Neuschwanstein (and Hohenschwangau). Not sure if we will ever get back to Bavaria so was trying to fit is all in. But your post has convinced me to forget about Linderhof and concetrate on N and H.

Sounds like you had a great time - we are having 4 days in Salzburg including New Year's Eve and Day. CAn't wait.

Level Contributor
37 posts
311 reviews
12. Re: December in Munich and Fussen

Hi Swandav - as a resident of Garmisch can I ask your advice? We will be in Munich 23 - 30 December and on Christmas Day I thought we should head on the train to Garmisch and if it is a clear day up the Zubspitze. My reasoning was as a ski resort - tourist centre Garmish was more likely to have restaurants open for lunch on Christmas Day. Do you agree/ if so are you able to recommend a good restaurant for 3 (Mr 62, Mrs 52 and Miss 13)?

Hope you can respond. Regards

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
42 reviews
13. Re: December in Munich and Fussen

Hi belgaicas,

Yes, Christmas day is a good time to go up the Zugspitze. Since that is the only place with pretty-much guaranteed snow here, it is full of skiers every day of the Christmas holidays. All of the restaurants on the mountain will be running full steam, and you'll probably be on the peaks over lunchtime, so that will work well.

If you use my suggestion for the day-trip and go to the Eibsee, the hotel there will also be operating its restaurant, and you could have lunch or a snack there. In town, there will be one or two restaurants or cafes that will be open until about 15.00 or 16.00.

I'm happy to respond! Have fun as you plan!

s

14. Re: December in Munich and Fussen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2018, 05:16