We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hohenschwangau with small child

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hohenschwangau with small child

After some consideration, I thinking that after spending the night in Fussen, we will just tour the grounds of Neuschwanstein instead of embarking on the craziness of a tour with our 2yo. The reviews of the tour aren't great and with the stairs and trying to contain a toddler, it doesn't seem worth it.

However, I am curious whether a tour of Hohenschwangau might be better? 30m is a great length for us and it sounds like there are just the two floors with more inside to see (being that it was actually lived in). Would anyone have suggestions or recommendations on touring just Hohenschwangau and walking over to Neuschwanstein for the photo ops and to see it close up? How long does it actually take to walk between the two (assuming we avoid the bus or carriage)? We will have a stroller for the longer walking for my son.

We plan to do the castles in the morning and leave for Salzburg early afternoon. That means I'm hoping to dedicate just 2-3hrs to the castles (long enough for my toddler). Does this sound reasonable?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

Frankly, my daughter as a toddler would not have been interested in the insides of the castles at all. She might have enjoyed the horse-drawn carriage up the mountain, though.

Hohenschwangau is interesting to tour (for adults), however.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

As the previous poster said, your child probably would love a horse-drawn carriage ride. The one to Neuschwanstein is much longer, but you probably won't have to wait for a carriage to Hohenschwangau Palace.

Oh, and I don't think such young children get anything out of travel and visits to most places. I'm always reminded of my brother when he took his two year old to the zoo. She wasn't interested in the animals but other young children, and by far her favorite thing was playing with a drinking fountain!

Edited: 29 September 2015, 01:30
Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
341 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

Might the"craziness of trying to contain your 2yo toddler" affect the enjoyment of other tour members ?

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

I realized there is one of Ludwig's palaces that might appeal to your toddler. There is a palace, patterned after Versailles, on one of the islands in Lake Chiemsee (between Munich and Salzburg). The palace itself features an incredible Hall of Mirrors, that seems to go on forever, and your child might really enjoy that. To get to the palace you need to take a walk or short ride on a steam train, then a boat ride. There is plenty of room to run around on the island and even a horse-drawn carriage from the boat to the palace.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

Don't miss the amazing boat ride on Lake Forgensee from Bootshafen (2 km from Fuessen station)..

It absolutely spectacular with 4 hrs of boat ride , stops in between and traditional german music!

Very wonderful scenary to medidate on and lots of photo oppurtunities!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

The walk to Neuschwanstein is uphill. We walked it easily, as do hundreds of people each day, but it could be a hard slog for a toddler or a parent pushing a stroller. Perhaps a trip to the castles might not be so much fun with so many concerns?

However if you do go I think it is a shame to miss out on the interior of Neuschwanstein, the finished rooms are really something! The tour is only about 30mins.

7. Re: Hohenschwangau with small child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2016, 06:17