We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Fussen to Salzburg (no Munich)

London, United...
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Fussen to Salzburg (no Munich)

Next Friday, we will be driving from Fussen (specifically Neuschwanstein in the morning) to Salzburg. Ultimately, we are coming from Zurich (the day before) and will have a 2yo in the car. Our goal is to get to Salzburg, so I'm looking at the shortest/fastest route. Most threads about the drive seem to include Munich, which is not on our agenda (we've already been there, as well as Garmisch-Partenkirchen).

Google seems to indicate about 3hrs through mostly Germany via B472 and A8. Are there any suggestions for either a better route (without adding another few hours, which is what adding a stop in Innesbruck would be), tips for road conditions, traffic or construction, or ideas for scenic or interesting points of interest? Anything from a great restaurant or snack stop, Children's playground, etc would be helpful. I'm not necessarily looking to break up the drive as we do just want to get to Salzburg, but having something in my bag of tricks would be great in case the little one decides the car ride isn't working for him... even if it takes us 20-30min out of our way would be worth it.

Finally, what should we expect as far as border crossings and proper permits, etc? We are renting the car from Avis so I would expect they would appropriately help us with having the correct tolls and permits, but...

TIA for any help!

(Cross posted in Salzburg forum)

1. Re: Drive from Fussen to Salzburg (no Munich)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2016, 06:17