We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

I see that almost all hotels in the region are fully booked. I have heard these castles are too busy any time of year, but maybe even moreso now? My family have the opportunity to visit this region for a day trip or 2 nights at the end of July, 2015. Is it just too crowded? If not, is a day trip from Munich sufficient?

Munich
Level Contributor
71 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

Sadly, yes. But worth it nevertheless. The system at Neuschwanstein is effecient and gets visitors in swiftly. You must book ahead online.

Alternative trips if you don't like crowds are Nymphenburg Palace, just outside Munich. The grounds are huge and there are lots of buildings to visit. Or Landsberg am Lech, a walled town perfectly preserved and you don't need tickets or to wait in line to see it. Just stroll the streets and enjoy the fairy tale like buildings. Nice cafes by the river to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Less than an hour from Munich. Herrenchiemsee Castle might be less crowded than Neuschwanstein as it is east of Munich, on the way to Salzburg. Neuschwanstein, Füssen, Linderhof and Oberammergau get the big crowds because they are relatively close to each other.

Munich
Level Contributor
71 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

PS You can do Neuschwanstein in a day trip. If you are on your own i.e., not taking a tour, you must have the pre-booked tickets.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,196 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

Definitely reserve your Neuschwanstein tickets on line, ahead of time. Yes, it is crowded, but an interesting tour. Nearby Hohenschwangau, where Prince Ludwig lived as a boy, is also worthwhile.

Fuessen is worth a visit too, a nice Bavarian town in its own right. Lake Chiemsee, as a previous poster mentioned, is gorgeous too. The palace there has a Hall of Mirrors, patterned after Versailles, that seems to go on forever.

Edited: 26 July 2015, 00:58
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

Interesting. A friend was at Neuschwanstein 2 weeks ago (with his German language class) and compared the experience to being herded like cattle. It is a beautiful setting. Why not just admire from afar? He also noted how nuts Ludwig was. 18 years to build it and he spent only about 4 months there.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,490 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

Interesting. A friend was at Neuschwanstein 2 weeks ago (with his German language class) and compared the experience to being herded like cattle. It is a beautiful setting. Why not just admire from afar? He also noted how nuts Ludwig was. 18 years to build it and he spent only about 4 months there.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

I loved Neuschwanstein and I think it is a pity not to see inside. The few rooms that are finished are stunning, IMHO and unlike any of Ludwig's other castles. Why travel so far and not see inside when it is so easy to do with a prebooked ticket?

Visit Hohenschwangau castle while there and I agree with other posters that Fussen is a lovely place to visit if time permits. We stayed there for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it.

Montevideo...
Level Contributor
873 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

The most interesting part of this trip is the landscape. Try booking a bike tour with Mike's bikes, you get to take pictures from different perspectives and see a beautiful landscape. No worries about the crowd, they take charge of all the reservations (at the ticket centre there is a desk just for tour guides and they get the time-slot they want, I know because I was called there to present my mehrtagesticket). It's fun, you can even get a swim in the Swan Lake. The tour inside the Castle is just 10 minutes long aprox. not much to see in my opinion everything is in the outside.

Edited: 26 July 2015, 14:40
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

It's not Füssen that is overly crowded. But Neuschwanstein is. Does it have to be that particular castle? How about castle Schleißheim, and a trip to Tegernsee instead? Or how about Herrenchiemsee and/or Frauenchiemsee near Prien at Lake Chiemsee?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

I visited the area for 2 days last week. You absolutely must book tickets - we did and got them within 5 minutes of arriving at the ticket office. For those who didn't pre-book the queue to get to the front desk was 2 hours long for a tour in 6 hours time. Transport to the castle was very busy - so i would advise walking up the hill - yes its steep and takes about 20 minutes but the queue for the bus was very long and the buses were packed. After hours the town empties and the whole place becomes very peaceful indeed - it was in the evening that we walked up the hill again to Maries bridge - during the day it was absolutely packed and impossible to get close to - in the evening it was very quiet. Getting somewhere to eat in the evening was no problem - in the surrounding area.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Fuessen, Neuschwanstein Castle too crowded?

We went to both castles in the middle of last month and thoroughly enjoyed striding past the very long queue to pick up our pre-booked tickets - the queue was for those who had not pre-booked. The only wait we had was to do the tour itself but they are all timed so you just turn up at the entry point just before the given time slot and away you go. In between times we walked part way around the lake and also walked up to both castles.

Afterwards we went up to Marian Bridge but I didn't like how many people were crammed on it so did not linger when more people came on, even though the views were lovely. There was no sign stating the limit to the number of people it can hold and it worries me that the bridge will collapse one day.