We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

Ca
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

Party of 7 coming to Munich for 3 nights - planning on going to Salzburg for the day, romantic road for half day and visit the castle for the day - can you please please help us plan this route to make it possible. We are short of time as we will be catching a plane back to Florence on the 4th day.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
13,371 posts
274 reviews
1. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

Please do not be misled. Romantic Road is a highway. It links some very attractive towns, mainly in Northern Bavaria. In itself it is not interesting.

My advice would be to ignore it- to get to any town on it, and visit properly will take more than a half day.

In my head, 3 nights means 2 actual days- 1 day in Neuschwanstein area, -you can drive back via Wieskirche and Oberammergau, and 1 in Salzburg.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
2. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

Staying 3 days in Munich and on each single day a long day trip away from Munich. If you don't want to see Munich I would not stay there. Accommodation is outside of Munich cheaper and if you travel by car you may have less traffic problems compared to staying in the city center.

General question is of course if you plan to make these trips by car or using public transport.

Romantic Raod Map

https:/…

Füssen, the town close to Neuschwanstein Castle, is the end point of the Romantic Road.

http://www.fuessen.de

http://www.neuschwanstein.de

The closest point on the Romantic Road to Munich is Augsburg. But even this won't work with a half day trip.

Ca
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

We arrived Munich and taking the train to Fuessen (direction please, is it a direct train?) planning on staying by the castle. Take a day trip (is it possible and how far?) to Salzsburg. 2nd day to visit the castles and romantic rd and then take the train back to Munich in time for the flight to Florence in the afternoon. We are not renting a car. Please advice

thanks again

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
4. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

I suggest you take a look at a road map:

Fuessen (where the castles are) is 115kmn south/west of Munich, takes a bit more than 2hrs. driving time. Salzburg is 137km southeast of Munich, on a mostly speed restricted autobahn. The Romantic Highway is mostly northwest of Munich. The first worthwhile town for a stop is Noerdlingen, about 180km autobahn/highway from Munich, and about 2 hours from Fuessen. (Note ethelman2's comments about the Romantic Road)

You can't do it all. So, you have to prioritize. Salzburg and Fuessen can be done fairly easily by train. but each will require a full day to make the trip(s) worthwhile .

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
5. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

> We arrived Munich and taking the train to Fuessen (direction please,

direction: Füssen (Füssen is the end station of a branch line)

> is it a direct train?

One hour direct, the other hour with a change at Buchloe (same platform). Coming from Munich Airport (MUC) you'll have to travel by S-Bahn (suburban train) into Munich first.

> Take a day trip (is it possible and how far?) to Salzsburg.

You can do Salzburg as a day trip from Munich, but not from Füssen.

Best deal with 7 persons will be to use 2 Bayern Tickets (per day). These are mini group (2-5 persons) day tickets covering all regional trains in Bavaria (plus to Salzburg Hbf). Bayern Ticket is EUR 29. To Füssen there are only regional trains. To Salzburg this means 20-30 minutes more travel time compared to the long distance trains. The savings compared to tickets for these trains are however substantial. Bayern Ticket is valid

Mo-Fr: from 9am till 3am next day

Sa,Su: from midnight till 3am next day.

Bayern Ticket covers also the buses from Füssen station to Hohenschwangau where the ticket center for Neuschwanstein Castle is. In Munich the S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams and buses are covered. The buses in Salzburg are however not covered.

DB timetable

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

To: Fuessen

To: Hohenschwangau

To: Munich

To: Salzburg

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to travel on Bayern Tickets.

You can reserve tickets for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles here:

www.hohenschwangau.de/ticketcenter0.0.html

Ca
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

So I need to go back to Munich in order to take the day trip to Salzsburg? can you tell me how long and which train please?

thank you so much

Ca
Level Contributor
179 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

Kind of intimidating because we have not been to Germany - is it better to take the tour from Viator leaving from Munich for 65.00 per person?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
8. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

> So I need to go back to Munich in order to take the day trip to Salzsburg?

Yes. Just look up on a map where Füssen and Salzburg are in relation to Munich.

railroad map Bavaria

bahnland-bayern.de/content-startseite/streck…

> can you tell me how long and which train please?

Check this with the DB timetable.

> is it better to take the tour from Viator leaving from Munich for 65.00 per person?

7 x EUR 65

vs

2 x EUR 29 when using public transport

I think you can do a lot of nice things with the saved amount.

9. Re: From Munich to Salzburg, Romantic Road and Neuschwanstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2012, 06:19