We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
28 reviews
Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

Hi,

I am planning a road trip for June 2011.

I am planning on stopping in Innsbruck for a few days and then driving to Castle Neuschwanstein.

Is Fussen the best place to base myself?

is it best to get public transport or drive to the castle?

Also how is driving and parking in Fussen?

thanks in advance, Gem

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,659 posts
1. Re: Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

Füssen is anyway the only town nearby, but it is a nice one.

http://www.fuessen.de

> is it best to get public transport or drive to the castle?

As parking is not free and the bus stop is close to the ticket center using the bus won't harm.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/545.0.html

Driving and parking in Füssen is OK. The problem of this area is the far distance traffic. Füssen is the end point of the autobahn A7. And e.g. during the summer vacation weekends the roads there have a problem to cope with the traffic coming from the A7.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
15,628 posts
53 reviews
2. Re: Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

Stay in the village of Hohenschwangau ( www.hohenschwangau.de ) for the close-up views of lit-up by night Neuschwanstein Palace from your room. It is built as a work of art and should be admired as such at your leisure under various lighting conditions. Villa Jaegerhaus is an excellent hotel with such views, in some rooms even from your bed.

Silver Spring, MD...
Level Contributor
211 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

We stayed at the hotel/restaurant that is actually right below the castle (but not below in the town). I don't remember the name of it, or how I found out about it except that I really had to do some heavy googling. I'm thinking it's just called hotel neuschwanstein or restaurant neuschwanstein or something like that. It certainly was fun. We could see the castle from our window, it was reasonably-priced, quiet after all the day trippers were gone, and in the morning we simply walked up a short way to where the castle tours started. If you're staying there, they let you drive up the road that walkers and carriages go. Of course, the down side of staying there is that if you wanted dinner, you had to go down the road to the town, as the restaurant either didn't serve dinner or closed early for dinner. You also had to go to the restaurant to get your room key when you first arrived - and if you get there at night, I'm not sure what you'd need to do, as there aren't a lot of staff people around. For one night, however, the place was perfect for us!

Edited: 02 August 2010, 15:35
Macau
Level Contributor
306 posts
100 reviews
4. Re: Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

I just travelled to Fuessen and visited both castles, Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, in early August by train. We chose to spend the nights at Fuessen. The town is very lively and there are a lot of restaurants and cafes that you can spend your time there other than visiting the castles.

We stayed at Altstadthotel zum Hechten for two nights. Price is reasonable and include tickets to visit both castles. It takes less than ten minutes to travel from Fuessen to the point where we walked up to the ticketing office. We went there early in that morning, arriving at around 8:30 a.m. and have the English tour to Hohenschwangau booked at 9:20 a.m. and the English tour to Neuschwanstein at around noon. We walked to both castles and there were still sufficient time for us to rest and took photos in between.

We took a quick lunch at the cafe in Neuschwanstein after the visit and back to Fuessen by around 4:00 p.m. Still time for a coffee and stroll around the town and do some shopping.

Hope the above is useful for your decision.

5. Re: Best town near Castle Neuschwanstein

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 05:17