We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices in Munich

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Prices in Munich

I think I'll be in Munich in March 2013 on business (and possibly holidaying after). I've tried searching here and elsewhere, but having no luck - can anyone tell me the prices of a cheese omlette, steak and chips, local dishes, cocktails etc, at basic or budget places? We're happy wondering into side streets, but not too far away from the main areas.

Also, I'm not sure how big Munich is, but assuming we need to use public transport to see the sights, how much is that? Is there a day travel card or similar? I havent yet researched what we might visit, but mainly buildings, parks, landmark type things - can we take photos, and are there typical entry prices?

We will be on a budget for the holiday, so if there is a much more money friendly city in Germany with sights and such, could you recommend?

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Prices in Munich

Thanks - in that case I'll brush up on my German and hopefully have more definitive answers about my food problems by then!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Prices in Munich

Have a look at the English menu of the Prinz Myshkin vegetarian restaurant: www.prinzmyshkin.com/en/dishes/classics

It is red no. 3 on this map: http://tinyurl.com/munich-restaurants

Edited: 25 September 2012, 20:40
Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Prices in Munich

Thankyou, that food looks amazing! Bookmarked for future reference :)

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Prices in Munich

By the way, they also do cheaper lunch specials at 7.50€: http://www.prinzmyshkin.com/en

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Prices in Munich

Can you eat Italian food?

Munich is often called the most northerly Italian city (theres 30,000 odd italians living there!) so theres plenty of italian restaurants.

Prices there are normally very reasonable and they do have plain pasta dishes or pizzas.

Or chinese food? Right in the main station you can get a box of plain noodles for €2 90 that would keep you going for a right while.

for drinks, again nothing like say London or Paris prices. If drinking beer the hostel bars are super cheap at about 2 euro, normal pubs about 3.50 to 4 euro. Cocktails arent cheap BUT if you stick to happy hour deals you can get cocktails for a fiver all over town (but maybe do research first!).

For accommodation try the german booking webste hrs.com . If you are *really* on a budget then theres a number of newly opened hostels in town, many right near the station that do rooms for as little as a tenner a night sharing. www.hostelworld.com is best for those. Also, if you stay downtown or near the station you could get away without buying a public transport day ticket. Still, its only abot 5.50 per person per day (4 pounds STG) for unlimited travel so isnt really all that dear.

The only catch with accommodation is that the city gets very busy for big trade fairs and prices rise accordingly, but hostels normally remain affordable nevertheless.

Anyhow, long and short is that Munich is NOT Stockholm or Copenhagen or London or Paris with regard to prices. Nowhere near them in fact.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 14:07
Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Prices in Munich

I'm really not sure yet what I can eat other than eggs and porridge! I'm expecting my results this week though, so will be able to make plans (and eat again!) then!

I've had a brief look at hrs, Dolomit catches my eye? We're not *really* on a budget, just looking to keep the price of the hotel reasonably low as we'll only be using it for sleeping!

Travel prices and cocktail prices seem reasonable thanks :)

I have to put a list together of places we want to see before picking a hotel though.

Sydney
Level Contributor
16 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Prices in Munich

Maybe instead of hotels you can look at staying at apartments instead? We stayed at a 1 bedroom apt from airbnb & it was fantastic & cheaper than most hotels. It was also walkable to the city center (in the pinakotheken area).

I'm not sure where you're from (England?) but we're from Sydney & we found most everything in Munich very cheap compared to home. If you can stay at a place which offers breakfast then the better for you. A very nice meal for the both of us (no entrees) but beers for the husband cost on average 30 euros which for us is cheap compared to prices in Sydney. Even the groceries are so cheap! Some main meals for lunch are only 8 euros. There are a lot of little food kiosks & so many good bakeries!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Prices in Munich

Hotel - Motel One Sedlingertor - I think I paid under Euro70 a night in mid September - great choice and greatlocation. I was there a week and was able to walk everywhere

no problems with food - all pretty plain - I had more issues in Prague

19. Re: Prices in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 17:18