We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

Hi all,

I contemplating a trip to Salzburg mid December and I'm looking for some advice. Is the following realistic and a possibility. In the past I flew directly to salzburg but sadly Ryanair are only starting the flight on 17th December. I have done the trip via Munich Airport to Salzburg 2 years ago and Aer Lingus have pulled the Belfast/Munich Flight. I was thinking of flying with Ryanair to Memmingen on Wednesday 14th December and then returning from salzburg on Saturday 17th December. I know I can get the Bayern ticket from Munich and catch the Salzburg train at Munich East Station, but basically I'm wondering is it worth the trip from Memmingen to Munich and onto Salzburg or would it take too long and would I be better in booking a flight to Munich with AerLingus and return from Salzburg. The trip would be for 2 adults and a child so the Bayern ticket is a resonable option as the difference in the flights is in excess of 130 euro, but I dont want to be travelling for hours if trains dont connect. Any of the experts advice would be appreciated.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

You can simply check the train connections

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

from Munich Airport

Start: MUC

from Memmingen Airport

Start: Memmingen Allgäu Airport, Memmingerberg

from Memmingen train station

Start: Memmingen

Destination: Salzburg Hbf

and select as means of transport "only local transport" if you want to use a Bayern Ticket.

The bus connections from Memmingen Airport to Memmingen station are not the best. Taxi will be approx. EUR 10.

Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

Thanks so much Abalada,

I did check the DB Bahn site earlier and I kept putting Memmingen Airport to Salzburg and it would give me no details, I then realised that the train leaves from Memmingen so I have gotton the details and there is a train that involves just 1 change at Munich Central and all in journey time of 4 and half hrs to Salzburg which is pretty ok. I could not get any Bus details for 14th December from Memmingen Airport to Memmingen so as you've mentioned Bus services are not good but at 10 euro for a taxi its fine and obvisously a fairly short trip.

Thanks so much for speedy reply.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,541 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

> . I could not get any Bus details for 14th December from Memmingen Airport to Memmingen

Many buses past 10. December 2011 are not yet online. From the 11. December 2011 the timetable 2012 is valid. You may try it closer to this date. The buses are covered by a Bayern Ticket. As you cannot buy it a the airport just buy it online (the start point and destination plays with a Bayern Ticket anyway no role - only the date). You can still decide on spot if you take the bus or use a taxi.

Ireland
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

Great Abalada thank you again for your speedy reply. I will buy the ticket on line and then depending on time I can either decide on bus or taxi.

5. Re: Memmingen Airport to Salzburg, is it possible

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2012, 10:18