We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Which Munich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Will we need to take our (British) passports with us on our planned day trip to Salzburg from Munich?

Thanks in advance

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Yes, you will need to take your passport.

There are no border checks, as it's a Schengen border, but you are required to bring a passport or national ID (the UK has none) with you.

Edited: 19 July 2010, 11:49
Dublin
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Double post

Edited: 19 July 2010, 11:50
Somerset,England
Level Contributor
970 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Not sure why you need a passport just going to Salzburg from Munich - I've never deliberatelty taken one and never been asked for one

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,155 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

honoured in the breach in my experience. Nonetheless, it is a requirement, I believe.

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
970 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Looks like this is more or less correct - the extract below is from the Foreign Office website for Austria

"Under Austrian law, you are required to have your passport readily accessible at all times. If you do not carry your passport with you, your passport must be in the same district as you and you must be able to access it within one hour. A UK driving licence is not recognised as an official form of ID."

Having been to Austria numerous times this was news to me. I have seen advice about ID being needed but assumed this would include a driving licence but evidently not. I believe in practice however extremely unlikely you would be asked for it

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,132 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

You need generally a passport or ID card (which you don't have as a British) to enter other countries. This does not depend on the fact if there are border controls or not.

There are also countries where you by law need to have your passport/ID card always with you (e.g. the Netherlands). The situation in Germany is similar like in Austria: i.e. your passport should not be too far away from you.

If the police accepts any other ID (like a drivers license) is up to them. By law they can insist on a passport or ID card. They could even bring charges against you for illegal entry or force you to leave the country. On the direct way, i.e. they bring you to the next airport and force you to take the next flight to the UK. This is for the police the easiest method. They have the right to do so, it does not cause a lot of paper work and it is painfully costly for you.

If the police is in good mood nearly anything may work: no papers, weak papers, a call to your hotel in Munich, ... But there is no guarantee that it will work in this way.

This depends also on factors like if they look for someone similar to you. Here only the real papers will safe you. Or if there are charges against you. I had just one case: family father at the fuel station refueled the car and bought 2 ice cream for the kids. Placed his credit card on the desk, signed, left and drove away. But had by accident only signed the bill for the ice cream, not for the fuel. Albeit the fuel station had the credit car number there is no other way to find out his address than to file a charge on fuel theft. They had also the car number from their surveillance cameras. Big surprise for the family when the police stopped them soon afterwards. Even if it was immediately clear for the police that this was "by accident" and no classical fuel thief and they were quite friendly, they cannot stop the procedure and have to record the papers and everything like he was a real thief. Only the state prosecutor has the right to drop the theft charges.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,718 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

>Having been to Austria numerous times this was news to me. I have seen advice about ID being needed but assumed this would include a driving licence but evidently not. I believe in practice however extremely unlikely you would be asked for i

As abalada said, it is one of those laws that remain on the books but are rarely enforced - but if a situation arises in which they have to be enforced, you better comply.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

A number of years ago when there were still border controls a mate of mine resident in Munich (english) went for a days skiing. On the way back got stopped at Kiefersfelden (random stop). He didn't have his passport on him (we never bothered taking papers). Wouldn't let him in. His wife drove home to Munich to pick up his passport. Despite the law in Germany re ID (and not being German) I don't generally carry my passport with me on a day to day basis. Rather put up with the hassle/fine than if I lost it. Going over the border though it's always with me.

New Jersey USA
Level Contributor
184 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

Just to be clear, does this mean if we venture further than a one-hour drive from our hotel in Germany or Austria, we should have our passports with us?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Salzburg - passports required?

In both Germany and Austria the law states that you should carry a form of identification at all times (official ID card or Passport).

As stated earlier if you don't the consequences are down to how the relevant official is feeling