We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ditch the rental car and

Shepherd, Michigan
Level Contributor
238 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Ditch the rental car and

Hello,

We'll be renting a car in Frankfurt and tooling around for a couple weeks before flying out of Munich (2011). I'm not entirely sure if we'll plan to be there for Oktoberfest or right after but I've heard that driving in Munich is not so enjoyable.

Would it be advisable to ditch the car somewhere outside the city (would that have to be the airport do you think?) and just travel public transport or can you easily park the car at your hotel and manuveur to the airport when the time comes? We would try to stay at a hotel in the city center.

Thanks,

Kelly

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Ditching would be my suggestion.

I know the city pretty well and still get in jams, sitting wondering why I'm not on the S-bahn. Equally, the typical journey time by Sbahn to or from airport is 40-5 mins, whereas by car, who knows?

And travelling around in town is easy by public tranport (safe and fast). Parking, while safe, is by no means easy. Many hotels have no parking; those that do may charge you $$$ for the privilege.

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Yes I'm with the ditch the car as well.

If your car hire has an office at the Airport you can get into the city very easy from there and back. Transport is excellent and safe. Or you can drop off outside the city depending on the car hire company.

You will be paying as mentioned before, for parking when you really dont need the car to get around the city or the surrounding areas as transport is readily available.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ditch the rental car and

If all you want to do is stay in and around munich then ditch the car. If you want to explore areas away from the Rick Steve monotony then keep the car. Look where I live- renting and driving a car is no different to anywhere else... Munich is very easy to drive- every city has road works and traffic... why is Munich any different or more complicated? Americans like big wide lanes with little traffic... Munich has been around a bit longer than the USA... so by american standards all european towns are 'congested;... so no need for scaremongering...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,528 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Driving in a strange large unknown city is never pleasant, and in Germany even less so as the city centers are mainly pedestrian only zones. The streets change names frequently, one way streets may take you in the wrong direction, the streets for the most part are not on a grid pattern, and it's oftentimes difficult to know which lane to be in, and they may be poorly marked mainly on the pavement where waiting cars obstruct the instructional arrows. It can be a major headache, and if there are detours, even with a map you might get lost or extremely inconvenienced.

Leaving a major city is easy, entering it and finding a particular place or driving around and parking could be a nightmare. Just use the inexpensive excellent public transportation in and around Munich which will probably take you near anywhere a tourist would want to go without losing your temper.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Munich is pretty easy to drive. It just doesn't make sense to keep paying for the rental car if you are spending a few days in the center.

But you might return it as well to a rental office in the center if there is one. Drop your stuff and your fellow travellers off at the hotel, then return the car.

I always think it is fun to drive in a foreign city, but I can imagine it is not everyones cup-of tea. Drove in places like Manhattan, Roma, Paris. The last two were definitely more difficult than Munich, which is more like a village.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Marco: thats what maps and or satnavs are used for... By large city standards Munich is very 'provincial' and easy to navigate so you cant extrapolate 'large cites in germany' etc... Munich isnt Naples or Marrakech... and has plenty of parking houses... folks need to be specific to munich when talking about traffic... and traffic in Munich as the dutch fella has just said, is no problem at all... BUT if you want to end your travels in Munich and spend time in/around Munich then yes you dont need a car... BUT stop making out that Munich is a nightmare... its not.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ditch the rental car and

I think people always write that driving in Munich is difficult, is because they mean DRIVING AFTER FIVE MASS OF BEER is difficult.

And I fully agree!

When sober, Munich is easy to drive in. Large streets, good signs, and safe places to park your car.

Edited: 16 April 2010, 12:57
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Buy this man a beer! Prost.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ditch the rental car and

Driving in Munich isn't difficult, especially with a satnav. Finding a parking space is more difficult - although there are a lot of parking decks they are expensive and often not where youa ctually want to get to. If you want to get around in the city, you are likely to spend more time and money by driving than by subway or tram.

But I agree - it is not a nightmare. Just inefficient.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ditch the rental car and

I often drive there. It's not a problem but it's just silly. You park further from your destination than the nearest S ban station; you sit for 20 mins in a jam to achieve that.