We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 things to see in Munich

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Top 5 things to see in Munich

Have posted this on the Salzburg and Vienna boards, and will do so on the Berlin and Switzerland boards, but what are the top 5 things to see in Munich in your opinions?

I know there are way more than 5, so feel free to share as many as you'd like. 5 is a good place to start.

I'll be visiting in April and would like to hear your thoughts. Have read some guidebooks, and reviewed the tripadvisor list of "things to do," but would like to cross-reference some ideas.

Thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

This also depends in part at least on your interests.

I've just spent a weekend in Munich with my husband. Highlight was "La traviata" which was the main reason for the trip(for the tenor specifically). Our other main focus was the art galleries and we visited Alte Pinakothek, Neue Pinakothek and Pinakothek der Moderne plus also Villa Stuck.

We also went out to Nymphenburg and visited the palace grounds (beautiful) and went inside the Residenz, the royal palace in Munich Old Town. It was a big surprise as we knew nothing about it and it is HUGE, on a scale with the Hofburg complex in Vienna. Took about 90 mins to get round (with audio-guide)

Otherwise we just wandered round the Old Town, looking in various churches (favourite was theAsamkirche) etc.

we stayed in the Hotel Mercure Altstadt and I can certainly recommend it; fantastic central location and excellent buffett breakfast (and great price to offset a bit the opera tickets!!!)

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

Viktualienmarkt (outdoor market)

Residenz (palace)

Deutsches Museum

Hofbrauhaus (historic beer hall)

Nymphenburg (palace and garden)

But depends on interests! eg could be Olympic Park, Opera, Pinakotheks, Andechs monastery; Enlgischergarten

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

A Mass (or two) of beer in the beer garden at the Chineser Turm (Chinese Tower) in the Englischer Garten is a must.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

Thanks, you guys. I'll jot some of these down and reference them on a map and gather some additional history on them. I tend to be into museums and architecture (the kind we don't really have in the States---seeing how new our country is, relatively speaking). Seeing things that are unique to the city is special too, along with those things everyone has heard about for that matter. I'm into it all, but I'm interested in hearing what was especially neat for others. Thanks. And thanks for the hotel suggestion.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
387 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

And by the way, ethelman...is the marketplace you mention a good place to get authentic German souvenirs, or is it more a marketplace designed for menu purposes?

Any other quaint markets in town for some good authentic German arts and crafts?

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
11,281 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

Viktualienmarkt is food, I'm afraid

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

This last weekend there were lots of craft stalls in the Old Town as it was the 851st annivcersary of the founding of Munich. Maybe you'll have similar luck when you are there.

We were also able to eat in the inner courtyard of the Town Hall which again I think was just this weekend (you can always eat in the Ratskeller below the Town Hall).

We enjoyed our lunches and cakes in museum cafes at Villa Stuck and Alte Pinakothek.

8. Re: Top 5 things to see in Munich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 06:17