We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not to miss around Munich?

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Greetings- my husband, 11 year old son, and myself are planning a trip to Munich Jan 22, we will spend two nights in Munich, then 5 in Saalbach, and have two more nights before we fly out again- my question, looking for guidance if we should head back to Munich for those two nights, or spend in Innsbruck or any other city in the general area?

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

the main issue is what time will you have to check in for the flight out of Munich? Innsbruck to the Airport is at least 2½ hours by car or train (plus extra if you need to return the car). For a morning flight this could mean an early start.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
262 reviews
329 helpful votes
2. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

As mentioned above it depends on your return flight, but as an alternative to Munich, you might consider spending those last two nights in Garmisch (you could spend your full day there going up to the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain) or Mittenwald.

Garmisch would be a 2:20 train ride to the airport, Mittenwald would be about 90 minutes.

Or, if you might consider heading to Saalbach upon arrival and then spending time in Munich at the end of your trip instead, which would prevent splitting up your stay.

I don't know your plans or arrival time of course, but I personally prefer to get to where I'm going when I arrive - instead of spending time in my arrival city, I just keep on going.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Go to Salzburg. It's a lovely small city full of Mozart.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Thanks all for your ideas!

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
13,180 posts
145 reviews
74 helpful votes
5. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Another vote for Salzburg. Beautiful city. Your son might enjoy the Sound of Music Tour or the Salt Mines. Have lunch or dinner at Hohensalzburg Fortress.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
49,926 posts
750 reviews
236 helpful votes
6. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Also a lot to consider if you are a museum person or you prefer more scenic places as well. Munich has several museums you might be interested in but also beautiful scenary nearby.

Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands, Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
14,584 posts
890 reviews
368 helpful votes
7. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Another recommendation for a Salzburg it is beautiful city.

I would recommend doing a tour of Fortress Hohensalzburg, I am sure your son would find it interesting.

https://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/hohensalzburg-castle/

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,114 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

Yes, of course, Salzburg is a beautiful city. But the TO asked abaut what to do in Munich, not in Salzburg. And there is such a lot to do and to see in Munich that you don't need to go to Salzburg or any other city.

https://www.muenchen.de/int/en/sights.html

And as the TO will stay in Saalbach for 5 nights in Saalbach he can do a daytrip to Salzburg from there also.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
193 reviews
59 helpful votes
9. Re: Not to miss around Munich?
Save

I would have thought you had plenty to do in Munich for four days:

* Residenz

* Deutsches Museum

* Glypothek

* Altes, Neues Pinakothek, Pinakothek der Moderne

* Day trip to Neuschwanstein

etc

Reply to: Not to miss around Munich?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.