We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

Which Bavaria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
564 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

I am planning a trip to Bavaria in September and will be making multiple overnight stops along the way. I have been reading the posts for this forum and have read several people mention cable rides to the top of the mountain as a must. I realize most of these towns probably have a cable car that runs to the top and I'll probably do it once...but in which town that I'm visiting below would you suggest it to be the most stunning and, even better, include a nice lunch too? Thank you!

Fussen

Garmisch

Mittenwald

Innsbruck

Salzburg

Tegernsee

Somerset,England
Level Contributor
954 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

We like these in this order

Untersberg (SE of Salzburg)

Karwendal (Mittenwald)

Tegelberg (Schwangau / Fussen)

Wallberg ( Tergernsee)

Also Jenner near Berchtesgarden

Tegelberg is not the most spectacular but we like to watch the hang gliders and it has a nice view over Forgensee

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
13,810 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

The cable car to the ice caves at Werfen south of Salzburg probably won't be the most scenic of the views but you are high up (not at the top), but a visit into the caves themselves would put it at the top of my list.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
760 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

The cable car in St Leonhardt to take you to the summit of the Untersberg is the most breathtaking in my opinion. There is a restaurant at the top but there is also a lot of flat area to walk around, unlike other summits.

It's just about 20 minutes outside of Salzburg.

Princeton, NJ
Level Contributor
9 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

We have been to the Zugspitze (Garmisch), and it was breathtaking! We had a completely cloudless day and spent the better part of it up top. There was a restaurant up there, which was delicious. It was in December, so the beer garden was closed so I can't attest to that. We took the cog railway up and the cable car down just to experience. It was an absolutely wonderful day! That being said, I wouldn't recommend going unless the weather is great because there will be no view.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
35,584 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

> I wouldn't recommend going unless the weather is great because there will be no view.

And that's of course true for any among these cable cars. But no view (fog or low clouds) in the valley must not mean no views on the top.

Zugspitze with 2.962 m is the highest among the ones listed. And you can do a round trip like JLNairn0803 did. For the best views this one.

zugspitze.de/en/…zugspitz-rundreise.htm

Karwendelbahn gets you on 2.244 m altitude, thus also in High Alpine areas. Brand new cabins.

http://www.karwendelbahn.de/english/summer

Good value for money. Also in the restaurant.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

I enjoyed Wendelstein. It's by no means the tallest mountain, but there is freedom to explore at the top.

wendelsteinbahn.de/bergbahnen/…englisch.php

Weston, FL
Destination Expert
for Weston
Level Contributor
564 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

Thank you all for these responses, this is very helpful!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Province of Trento
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

Hi,

I'd say the Zugspitze is tops. You can go up from either Garmisch, Germany or Ehrwald, Austria, as the Zugspitze is on the border of Germany and Austria. We've only gone from Ehrwald. We did the Zugspitze on our way from Innsbruck to Fuessen.

www.zugspitze.de

www.zugspitze.at

worldisround.com/articles/351441/index.html

After that, I'd say the Nordkettenbahn from Innsbruck. Spectacular.

www.nordkette.com/en/top/home.html

worldisround.com/articles/362561/index.html

Even if you go only as far up as the Seegrube station, it's amazing, but better if you go to the top station, Hafelekar.

Mittenwald's Karwendelbahn would be next and then the Tegelbergbahn, which is actually 10 to 15 minutes outside of Fuessen, by Neuschwanstein.

worldisround.com/articles/343800/photo32.html

worldisround.com/articles/351565/photo25.html

Paul

9. Re: Cable Car to Top of Mountain - Which one is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:15