We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bavarian holiday with kids in September

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Bavarian holiday with kids in September

Greetings!

I am taking my kids (both10yo) on a Bavarian holiday in Sept for a 10 day holiday (3 people).

Some questions please:

1. Best type of Bavarian style of accommodation in Munich - suitable with kids please.?

2. Best way to see Nueschwanstein - A tour from Munich or self drive?

3. Garmish for 3 nights or Konigsee? and most appropriate accommodation. Or worthwhile to see both and spend only a night or two at both?

4. Worthwhile visiting the Blackforest and the best means of getting there?

5. Saltzburg - Sound of Music or Mozart? I hear there are some Ice Caves too?

6. Any other alternatives please would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

A

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,277 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bavarian holiday with kids in September

1. Instead of staying in Munich, I always use farmhouse accommodation in Bavaria - stay somewhere near a train line and you can get into Munich easily. The kids love it - messing about in haybarns, milking the cows, riding on a tractor. Standards are very high. Here's the official site: http://www.bauernhof-urlaub.com/ (it used to have pages in English too, but that feature seems to have gone with the redesign).

2. I've never been to Neuschwanstein, but instead I'd recommend some real old castles, such as Burghausen.

3. Both are strunning, but personally I would only give both Koenigsee and Garmisch a day-trip each.

4. The Black Forest is worthwhile, but not on a 10-day visit to Bavaria - it's too far. Much closer is the less touristy Bavarian Forest, near the Czech border. It has enough to offer for a short visit.

5. Climb or take the funicular railway up to Hohensalzburg castle, overlooking Salzburg, for stunning views. Also, take in the Mirabell gardens and dance around like you're the Von Trapp family.

In general, I would recommend you use public transport as much as possible, use the Bayern Ticket for day- trips by rail and use alternate days at a farmhouse to relax between day trips. Try to visit Passau and Regensburg.

Larnaka City, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaka District, Larnaka City
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bavarian holiday with kids in September

If you are about to visit Salzburg then you could visit the Werfen castle which has a performance with wild birds as well. Our kids loved it!

The ice caves that we have visited were located in Obertraun, 1hour drive east of Salzburg. I do not know if there are any other ice caves closer.

IMO you could book a farm accomodation for some nights in Bavaria Area and then spend some nights in another accomodation near Salzburg so to explore that area as well ( which is near Konigsee lake as well).

In Salzburg, and next to the Salzburg zoo, we have visited a small palace of a bishop that included watergames- needless to mention that my kids still remember it and they were quite young at that time!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bavarian holiday with kids in September

I also recommend the farmhouse stays. They are family friendly and very reasonable.

You might also be interested in the "Almatrieb" (think I have that spelled correctly). That is when the cows, wearing wreaths, are moved from their mountain pastures to the villages. This is usually scheduled for the end of September. Someone on this board might know more about this.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bavarian holiday with kids in September

Thank you blawcleea , margory and emilysmom2003

Your advice is welcomed and sounds great.

So much to look foward to now.

Happy days

Andy

5. Re: Bavarian holiday with kids in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:19