We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Germany

New York
Level Contributor
496 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Germany

Please advise if we need a special sticker or mechanical sticker on our rental car to drive in germany

We will be renting a car in Paris & driving in Germany...I read somewhere that we need to stop at a Gas Station once we cross into Germany to get a sticker of sort...

Crossing in to Germany from Belgium

Don't remember where I read it or what has to be done

Thanks in advance

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Germany

Not for Germany.

Such toll stickers (vignette) are required to drive on the autobahns of a number of countries (e.g. Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic).

For Germany the old slogan still applies: Freie Fahrt für freie Bürger (literally: free drive for free citizens).

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Germany

Yes for Germany. Not for tolls, but you need an environmental sticker that classifies your car's exhaust to enter some city centres - this is probably what you have read about. Some cities have limited zomes that allow only cars with those stickers in to limit pollution of the air. There are a couple of threads about this in the forum, browse a bit. I don't drive hence can't tell you about details.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Germany

Read on this page under Emission Zones,there may be some other helpful info as well

theaa.com/motoring_advice/…germany.pdf

New York
Level Contributor
496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Germany

Thank You...I have browsed for days now & can't find information, except in German & I do not speak the language

I see Yellow,Red & Green areas in certain cities but doesn't say where I get such envirornmental sticker & what each color signifies.

Help

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
36,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Germany

cologne-tourism.com/service/getting-to-colog…

As rental cars are normally rather new you'll get a green sticker (lowest emission class) for it. Easiest is to visit a repair shop affiliated with the manufacturer of your rental car model.

You can also go to any car registration office (KFZ-Zulassungsstelle) or the branches of the TÜV and DEKRA - companies doing vehicle inspections.

The normal administration fee to issue the sticker is EUR 5,00.

There are also online options but they are often more expensive and as you don't have yet the necessary papers of your rental car anyway not an option for you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,124 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Germany

>>can't find information, except in German & I do not speak the language<<

Did you try using translate.google.com ? It's not perfect, but the translation is usually understandable.

Luneburg, Germany
Level Contributor
353 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Germany

I think most of the car service stations will give you the Sticker.

Like ATU for example.

Or the garage of the company of your rental car.

But I if your rental company has also stations in germany I would contact them and ask for the "Umweltplakette"

You won't need this sticker in every city in germany. And I don't have one because I don't want that ugly thing on my window, but if you're going to one of the city that prescribe the sticker (like parts of Berlin) you better get that useless envirement sticker because otherwise you may have to pay a hurtful fine of 40€.

Edited: 18 November 2011, 07:58
New York
Level Contributor
496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Germany

Thank you all...I also got some information from Rick Steves contact phn # & they also sent me an e-mail

Since I am renting the car in Paris, I have to stop at a gas station when I cross into Germany, otherwise on of the ideas I've read is to just simply go to Avis in Germany. ******Great Suggestion *********

We have a European GPS & will arrange to find Avis as soon as we cross into Germany.

Thanks again..........

9. Re: Driving in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2012, 10:27