We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

I am looking for hotel rooms that have the kind of showers where the shower head is attached high on the wall.

I don't like the kind where the shower head has to be held in the hand and hangs low over the tap in the bath.

Is there a german name for the kind of shower I want?

I look at hotel reviews and at the bathroom / shower photos.

However, some hotels have both kinds of shower heads in different rooms.

I want to ask for the kind of shower that has a shower head fixed high on the wall or the type of room that has that kind of shower.

Is there a name for the fixed high shower head?

Thanks for any info or advice.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

Shower heads fixed high up on the walls are an almost extinct species, they are considered old-fashioned plumbing. Public swimming pools have them, hostels and such will still have them, but I doubt about hotels, at least any hotels that have been refurbished in the last 20, 30 years. However, about every handheld shower includes a vertical rod on the wall with a hook-like thingy you can put the shower head in and place it at the height you want. That should solve the problem.

Edited: 26 August 2011, 05:44
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,175 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

What a strange question. Almost all hotels have a FLEXIBLE shower head that is normally connected high on the wall, but you can take it off as well.

And why you bother so much?

BTW, you have really funny questions in your post history :)

Where are you from?

Edited: 26 August 2011, 07:38
Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,474 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

Consider just staying in modern chain hotels which probably don't have a bath-tub anyway, just a shower.

If you are finding the hotels that don't have a rack you can put the shower head onto, then it sounds more like old B'B's or pensions or gasthouses. I too have never seen a place that didn't have a rack where you can hang the shower so that it is over your head. Permanently attached shower heads do sound like what you find in a pool or gym.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,032 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

We've stayed at a few nice hotels recently that had only showers, and those fixed in position high in the shower. What a delight having a strong stream of water instead of the hand held units that can be suspended like we have in our apartment but don't supply those voluminous quantities of water.

Of course, you could contact the hotels directly by phone or e-mail and inquire if they have rooms with the type of shower heads you want and reserve one that does.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,147 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

Some like Motel One chain have only a shower,in this case a sort of rain shower though it can be moved.

The smarter hotels often have a walk in shower and a tub with handheld shower

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
6,920 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

I would ask the hotels for a walk in shower. A lot of them have fixed and larger shower heads.

WEBWORLD
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

Thanks, everyone.

"We've stayed at a few nice hotels recently that had only showers, and those fixed in position high in the shower. What a delight having a strong stream of water instead of the hand held units that can be suspended like we have in our apartment but don't supply those voluminous quantities of water."

That's what I want.

-----

"What a strange question. Almost all hotels have a FLEXIBLE shower head that is normally connected high on the wall, but you can take it off as well.

And why you bother so much? "

It's a way to wash my hair (it takes two hands to do it), condition and rinse it with ease.

-----

"I would ask the hotels for a walk in shower. A lot of them have fixed and larger shower heads."

I will ask for a "walk in shower".

-----

What is "walk in shower" in German?

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

I actually like the German way of having hand-held showers that can be used by hand or attached to a movable bracket on the wall. It is the best of all worlds. You have a regular shower when you want it, can set the height of the shower to wherever you like it, and have the hand-held when you want it.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

Showers with just a sink in the floor instead of a proper basin - I think that's what you call a "walk-in shower" - are also considered poor or old-fashioned plumbing. Rooms that are equipped for handicapped guests will have them. Hostels will have them. Maybe some hotels that have not ben refurbished for decades will have them. Upscale and/or modern hotels won't.

By the way, my hair is almost at tailbone length and I have no problem washing it with a handheld shower, I find it much easier to rinse the hair properly because the water is exactly where you need it, but that's a matter of technique...

10. Re: Shower Attached to Wall - Not Low at Bath Taps?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 11:16