We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I drive around the Baltic Sea with a Rental Car?

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
243 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can I drive around the Baltic Sea with a Rental Car?

Hello.

I can't find a General Europe area to ask this question, so I'll start by asking in Germany.

I've got this crazy idea to drive a rental car around the Baltic Sea. I'm in the VERY early stage of inquiry now. The idea so far is a loop from Germany to Poland, to Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, to St Petersburg, Russia, up to southern Finland, then Sweden, then Norway, then Copenhagen, then back to Germany. Crazy and probably very unlikely as I am hoping for.

If you can, please answer any of my questions/concerns below, and feel free to add whatever you like:

- Do you think Germany or any other country would allow a rental car to travel in all those countries?

- Do you know if (German) rental cars are allowed on ferries?

- Am I crazy?

Thank you.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I drive around the Baltic Sea with a Rental Car?

You can drive a rental car to Scandanavia but most if not all will not allow cars to go to Russia,Latvia etc

You can find out where you can go to if you go to your car rental company website and look under terms and conditions(for German rentals)

I have taken renal cars on ferries with no issues

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I drive around the Baltic Sea with a Rental Car?

Russia requires a visa which is not that easy to get (you need lots of paperwork). But you can bypass Russia by taking a car ferry from Tallinn to Finland

- Do you think Germany or any other country would allow a rental car to travel in all those countries?

Why should Germany (as country) care about that? It is the matter of rental company's policy - you need to ask them. It is usually OK for standard cars but not for luxury cars - but ask the rental company before.

- Do you know if (German) rental cars are allowed on ferries?

See above - it is a matter of rental company's policy.

3. Re: Can I drive around the Baltic Sea with a Rental Car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2012, 05:22