We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Frankfurt to Cologne

Sydney
Level Contributor
81 posts
53 reviews
Itinerary for Frankfurt to Cologne

My wife and I will be flying into Frankfurt staying, 3 nights, 2 full days, intending to hire a vehicle, travel to the Rhine and Moselle Valleys, 2 nights, more than likely staying in Rudesheim, then to Koblenz, 3 nights and onto Cologne, 3 nights, drop off the vehicle, then go by train to Amsterdam. Alternatively we can do the round trip, ex Cologne, and drop the vehicle off in Franfurt, catch the train to Cologne then train it to Amsterdam. I would be interested to know what the Destination Experts and others think of the itinerary and number of respective nights. Would there be must do's working our way north rather than those mentioned above or forget north and go in any direction ultimately ending at Amsterdam ? A friend mentioned a boat trip, day / half day on the Rhine, said they were expensive however good, comments please. Look forward to your responses.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Itinerary for Frankfurt to Cologne

What time of year are you thinking about? It makes a difference in the river level, scenery, how much daylight you have, etc.

I would pick another town possibly besides Ruedesheim to stay in, it just isn't my favorite, and there are tons of towns to choose from along the Rhine.

It makes more sense to fly into Frankfurt and work your way up the Rhine, ending in Cologne and then on to Amsterdam.

You can take short river rides on the boats that don't cost a whole lot.

Essen, Germany
Level Contributor
141 posts
2. Re: Itinerary for Frankfurt to Cologne

In my opinoin it makes also more sense to go Frankfurt - Cologne - Amsterdam.

3 nights Frankfurt: OK; 2 nights Rhine and Mosel valley: OK, you should do a boat trip ; 3 nights Koblenz: in my opinion too much. Koblenz is not big or spectacular. You already spent 2 nights in Rudesheim. My alternative suggestion: 2 nights Trier for visiting Trier, the Eifel area and Luxembourg. 1 night Koblenz; 3 nights Cologne: OK, but also visit the former capital Bonn.

Sydney
Level Contributor
81 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: Itinerary for Frankfurt to Cologne

Thanks and my apology, it will be in late April, 2010. What other town/s would you suggest rather than Rudesheim? Also one other thing, iro vehicle hire, would winter tyres normally be necessary at that time or be weather dependent?

4. Re: Itinerary for Frankfurt to Cologne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 05:19