We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Hi,

I plan to spend 2 days in Dresden before I head to Prague. I'll get there Sunday around 3 pm and leaving on Tuesday around 3 pm.

With most of museum closed on Monday, I plan to spend late Sunday afternoon at Old Masters Picture Gallery and Porcelain Collection at Zwinger Palace.

Another option is to take ferry to Pillnitz. But i'm not sure it would be too rush or not. Taking a ferry in the evening, I would enjoy a terrific sight. I know there is a ferry to Pillnitz but not sure which is the closet pier to Dresden main railway that offers the service.

On Monday, i plan to take boat trip but can't decide whether I should do Dresden – Königstein – Dresden, which takes about 10 hours or Bridge Tours, which takes 3 hours around round trip along the Dresden stretch of the Elbe valley which i can see five of Dresden´s Elbe bridges.

On Tuesday, I have time until 2 pm. I plan to visit Municipal Museum Dresden.

Alternative, today I could visit Municipal Museum Dresden and Old Masters Picture Gallery and Porcelain Collection at Zwinger Palace. And i would take an easy walk around the town on Sunday.

Your suggestion is much appreciated.

Thanks

Su

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,760 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Don't do too many museums in ONE day. Your plan for Sunday sounds good to me. Stroll a bit around the Zwinger grounds (and rooftop), walk along Brühl's Terrace and unwind in a restaurant around Neumarkt square or Altmarkt square/Weisse Gasse alley in the evening.

On Monday you should visit the New Green Vault museum - a must. Try to get a ticket for the Historic Green Vault as well, show up around 9.30 to get one - only available for appointed time. Boat trip to Pillnitz sounds fine to me - Königstein is too far IMO. Especially as round trip. The paddle steamers leave from the old town, right below Brühl's Terrace and next to Augustus bridge.

On the way back from Pillnitz take bus #83 to Körnerplatz, take the cable car up and enjoy the views from the top station - walk down or take the cable car back. Also, stroll a bit from Körnerplatz square down to the river, picturesque area there. Walk across Blue Wonder bridge, take the tram back to downtown (#12).

If there's more time you can explore the Grosser Garten park (miniature train operating there, it's fun!)

The city museum is a good idea for Tuesday. Definitely see the Church of Our Lady if you haven't yet on the previous days. Don't forget to explore the district on the opposite side of the river - called New Town, very charming IMO and beyond Albertplatz square quite vibrant, young crowds.

Mentioned in this post
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,760 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Neumarkt
Neumarkt
452 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Green Vault
Green Vault
2,003 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Blue Wonder Bridge
Blue Wonder Bridge
342 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Hi Eagle,

Thank you very much. You're very kind and helpful.

I'll definitely visit Church of Our Lady for sure.

As you suggest, on Sunday, i would walk around Zwinger and Bruhl Terrace and Neumarkt square.

On Monday, I may do 3-hour boat trip from Dresden – Pillnitz – Übigau – Dresden and visit Green Vault museum.

On Tuesday, I'll visit Pillnitz and take cable car to enjoy bird-eye view. Do you think 3-4 hours would be enough? I will have to get a train at 3 pm to Prague.

I may drop Municipal Museum Dresden. Not sure I have time for all interesting sights in Dresden.

cheers,

Su

Mentioned in this post
Zwinger
Zwinger
3,760 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Bruhl
Bruhl
North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Neumarkt
Neumarkt
452 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Green Vault
Green Vault
2,003 Reviews
Dresden, Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Germany
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Why don't you visit Pillnitz on Monday? Especially since you plan to do the steamboat trip to Pillnitz? Break it up there, hop on the next (or a later) boat back. And boat trip to Übigau? Doesn't fit into that.

3-4 hours is a bit tight for Pillnitz plus the cable car if you calculate the time getting there and back.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Hi Eagle,

How much time would be good for going to Pillnitz, taking cable car and getting back to Dresden?

The boat trip Dresden – Pillnitz – Übigau – Dresden doesnt make any stop. I'm thinking of taking that one since the route along Elbe Valley, Pillnitz and Ubigau is among the World Heritage.

But it the time doesnt fit, i may have to change to boat trip to Pillnitz + cable car and taking tram back to town.

Thanks also for your note on Salsa dancing. Do you dance as well?

cheers,

Su

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Germany
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

No, I don't dance Salsa, LOL.

I looked up this tour Dresden-Pillnitz-Übigau-Dresden. It's a special tour, not on regular schedule, thus no stop. Honestly, the portion Dresden old town - Übigau is not very interesting IMO. 3 hours is *way* too long on the boat.

I strongly suggest you take a regular paddle steamer to Pillnitz in the morning (and that's cheaper) which runs on the same river, the same route of course like the other boat that you plan to take. Except for the rather boring portion to Übigau.

The steamboat trip upstream to Pillnitz takes 90 minutes if I recall correctly. I would calculate at least an hour for exploring castle and gardens of Pillnitz, maybe even wandering around the little village and the vineyards a bit. Bus back to Körnerplatz 15 minutes, cable car up, soaking up the views, cable car down is another hour, back by bus and tram to Central Railway Station another 45 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

Thanks sooo much Eagle. That is very helpful.

Maybe if you have time, you should try Salsa. You could be addicted like me.

^ ^

7. Re: 2 Days in Dresden & Boat Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 05:34