We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Marksburg

Oakland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Getting to Marksburg

So I am one of those people who needs step by step directions for getting to new locations.

I've seen previous posts stating that you need to get a ferry from Bacharach to Braubach in order to get to Marksburg.

Please tell me if it's that simple...or will I need to change ferries at some point ?

Also, do all ferries go this route? If not, which ferry will take me to Braubach from Bacharach?

Also, how often do these ferries run?

Would it make more sense to take the train to Braubach? And if so, help! Which train will take me there? Will it be a direct route?

And please, if there are details I'm missing, please let me know. Thank you!!!

14 replies to this topic
Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,862 posts
1. Re: Getting to Marksburg

There are scheduled boats from Bacharach to Braubach by KD.

https:/…

There are also ferry services along the Rhine crossing the river at several points.

E.g. from St. Goar to St. Goarshausen.

http://www.faehre-loreley.de/index.htm

Most sense will probably a combination of KD boat (downstream) and train (and ferry).

There is no direct train route as Bacharach and Braubach are on different sites of the river. This means either ferry somewhere to cross the Rhine or by train via Koblenz.

Oakland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Getting to Marksburg

Thank you so much for the quick response!

I see on the KD website that there are only two departing times from Braubach... the latest one being 15:05... which will only leave us with less than three hours to tour the castle and Braubach.

Do the ferries run more often? If I want to get to Braubach earlier than 12 ( which is the earliest a KD boat arrives)... should I just go with the train for both directions?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
40,862 posts
3. Re: Getting to Marksburg

> I see on the KD website that there are only two departing time

You could return by train via Koblenz or by train + ferry + train.

> Do the ferries run more often?

St. Goar - St. Goarshausen ferry rund at least every 20 minutes.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: Getting to Marksburg

There are only 2 English tours per day, so you may want to try and get there for those. Tours are the only way to go inside the castle. No exploration here. Braubach doesn't really have anything to see so 2 hours is usually plenty of time to devote to this site.

Take the ferry across the river and then train the rest of the way to Braubach. If you walk up the hill to the castle, this takes about 20 min. It is a fairly steep walk. Sometimes there is a castle taxi, but not always.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Getting to Marksburg

There seems to be some confusion. In the Middle Rhine Valley there are passengers boats that connect the more important towns. These are excursion boats for touristic purposes, not ferries. Every other town or so has also ferries that take passengers and vehicles to the other side of the river.

Bacharach is not a good starting point for visiting the other side of the river unless you have a car. You can take the train to St. Goar, the ferry to St. Goarshausen and another train to Braubach or train to Koblenz and another train from there. All that is covered by a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket.

You can also take one of the cruise boats from Bacharach to e.g. Kaub or St. Goarshausen and continue by train.

Oakland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Getting to Marksburg

So it seems as though this day will be packed with train trips. Would it make the most sense to purchase a Rheinland-Pflaz ticket for this day?

And if so, where would I purchase this pass? Would I need to get it validated? And does this pass stop working after a certain time (say, 6PM or so?)

I was really hoping to be on the water as much as possible, since we will only be on the Rhine for four days, but the trains appear to be the most convenient.

That said: Is there any connection in which you'd suggest taking a boat instead?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Getting to Marksburg

The Rheinland-Pfalz ticket is described in www.bahn.de under regional offers. A Rheinland-Pfalz ticket is good for one calender day, all day on wekends, during the week only after 9 a.m.

Basically it is good on local and regional trains, buses, trams and ,some ferries in the states of Rhineland-Palatinate and Saarland and a few railway lines in neighbouring states, such as Kaub - Rüdesheim - Wiesbaden.

Given that e.g. a single ticket from Braubach to Bacharach via Koblenz is already € 14.10 the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket is good value. Buy it from any Deutsche Bahn ticket machine or from one of the yellow Mittelrheinbahn ticket machines. You have to select the date ( current date is the default) and enter the number of passengers. No need to validate the ticket but you must write the names of all passengers onto it.

Oakland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Getting to Marksburg

This is all so very useful. Thank you!

I think we might train to St. Goar and take the ferry to St. Goarshausen.

1. Is this ferry easy to find from the train station? Is it next to the KD dock?

2. Is there more than one ferry? Do you happen to know the names of these ferries that are included in the Rheinfeld pass?

3. Same for once we arrive in St. Goarshausen-- is it easy to get to the train station from the dock? Will we need a taxi?

Many thanks!

Oakland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Getting to Marksburg

Oh and also, am I correct to assume that I can purchase this Rheinfeld pass a day or two in advance?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,652 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Getting to Marksburg

1. Yes. Why don't you look at Google maps. It is all there and I can even see the ferry on its way across the Rhine.

2. It is the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket (after the state). Includes the ferries from St. Goar to St. Goarshausen, Boppard to Filsen and a passenger ferry in Koblenz. The Kaub, Niederheimbach - Lorch and Bingen - Boppard ferries are not included.

3. Easy again and no taxi needed

You can buy the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket in advance by changing the date at the ticket machine . Does not make much sense though.

Edited: 27 April 2018, 21:08
Reply to: Getting to Marksburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted