We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring in Chamonix

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
Spring in Chamonix

We are considering a mid-April trip to France and my son (who will be 10 at the time of the trip) really wants to go to the Alps. I know there is a ton to do in both winter and summer, but what about spring? We're probably not interested in skiing, but more interested in exploring the area, hiking, enjoying nature, checking out the views, etc. Will it be too cold or snowy to enjoy non-skiing outdoor activities? Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,303 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Spring in Chamonix

Definitely off-season. Too little (safe) snow for the majority to go skiing, too much (dangerous) snow to do much else outside the towns - and I don't recommend Chamonix as a town off-season.

reading
Destination Expert
for Chamonix
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Spring in Chamonix

Got to disagree with Becasse as it is towards the end of the ski season but Easter is 19th April so it will be busy and still lots of snow.

Hiking would only be on the valley floor except for shortish walks in the snow at the mid-stations.

Cold well it could be but also really warm , rainy, snowy in fact anything.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,303 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Spring in Chamonix

While I had forgotten about Easter being late in 2019, it will still definitely be off-season in Chamonix for non snow-related activities.

Grenoble, France
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: Spring in Chamonix

April in the Alps is still skiing season yes, except you don't really go in Chamonix for skiing. Hiking no, not in April, you'll have to way late May for good hiking, even June. It's a snowshoeing destination though, but there are better areas for that. La Grave, near Grenoble, offers great views, snowshoeing, and skiing. It's a historical village as well, the upper part is all stone houses.

A central and larger location would be Briançon. The city itself is great, with the historic centre, and there are countless mountains to explore, like Vallée de la Clarée, the Queyras, the Ecrins etc... You can ski in Serre Chevalier, snow shoe in Clarée or Queyras, see the castle and fort in Queyras... Great location.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
59 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Spring in Chamonix

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions!

Reply to: Spring in Chamonix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted