We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

Bonjour!

I am landing in Marseille the end of October. I am travelling solo and do not drive.

What are the best places to visit in the area between Marseille and Monaco?

I have a week to 10 days so no hurry. I think the places i most want to see are St Tropez, Marseille, as i have been to Cannes and Monaco before.

Can you suggest which places are worth visiting - how best to get around between each place (day trips on the train and back to a base?)

Also, should i stay in Marseille the whole time or base myself elsewhere?

Many thanks!!! Merci!

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

I'd suggest you look at Cassis, Hyeres (visit from Marseille) and then Antibes, Biot, Haut de Cagnes, Nice and Eze which you can visit from a base in the Nice area. Those are the ones along the coast. All are accessible by train or a combination of train and bus. if you download the pdf timetable for ligne 1 from here www.ter.sncf.com/paca/ it gives you the train times to Cassis and Hyeres. The same link also gives you train times for further along the coast.

I'll be quite honest, I don't feel St Tropez is really worth the considerable effort it takes to get there but if you are set on it you can go by bus from Toulon or Hyeres.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

Thankyou ChicChantal! I will put those places on my itinerary. So, do you think Marseille is the best place to stay the whole time, or should i move around hotels, staying in a different place each night (which would be a pain really!) ? Or, stay and base myself somewhere else and move around from there? I guess i would like it if i could base myself in one place, and do train trips to each place each day from there.

Surprised about st tropez! you hear about how "glamorous and fabulous" it is, so i thought it would be quite lovely...!!

Thanks so much for your advice :)

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

Do spend at least half your time in Nice, where there is a great deal to enjoy. From Nice you can easily visit other sights along the coast and a bit inland, such as Villefranche-sur-Mer, St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, St-Paul-de-Vence/Vence, Biot, and more.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

+1 Cassis. We enjoyed St. Tropez off season. imo it's worth a visit.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

thank you texhills and catullus ! will def stop at those seaside places....it sounds as though perhaps i should just stay in a hotel in Nice the whole time and venture off each day from there?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

Cassis is best visited from Marseille, St. Tropes from Nice.

UK
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

I like St Tropez but it's not easy to get to because there is no train and the traffic congestion is horrendous, though I'd guess it will be less bad at the end of October. I was there for the first day of the regatta a couple of years ago, and thought it was pretty BUT I didn't think there was much specific to St Tropez that you couldn't see in Cap Ferrat, for example.

Philadelphia, PA
Destination Expert
for Cassis, Marseille, Manosque, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

You may want to consider 2 bases Marseille, then Nice, and not change every day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

+1 for Marseille and Nice (or a smaller town near it) as your bases, with convenient access to the train lines.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A few days in the Cote D'Azur-advice on best places to visit

The Grand Braderie is on in St Tropez last week in October. This is when the shops sell off all the high fashion season goods for next to nothing. Despite being outside the St Tropez 'season' there are special boat cruises from Nice just for this.

Also Antibes,Villefranche, Cap Ferrat and Menton on the coast and the inland hill villages -most accessible are St Paul de Vence, Eze,Haut de Cagnes and Biot.

Ed

Edited: 28 September 2014, 18:25