We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Promise to Lease required for Long stay Visa

Which Nice hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
makati
3 posts
Save Topic
Promise to Lease required for Long stay Visa

In order to submit visa application for Long stay in France,one must submit a copy of a Lease,deed or a "Promise to Lease",to prove that you have accomadations before you arrive.

The "promise of lease" seems to be what we need simply because we don't want to put a deposit on apartment until we're officially approved,of course after we're approve we would be willing to sign the actual lease documents via fax and then submit a deposit. (of course we would need to see some photos and have all the details in the contract)

We're unable to find any detail information on this "promise to lease"

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject would be grateful for any help you can offer.

We're looking for a small apartment in NICE area.

Thank you,

aubriella

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Promise to Lease required for Long stay Visa

Yes, I had to do this way back when (when I got my VISA). I simply made a trip to France to secure accommodations. I then gave the Consulate a photocopy of the lease. I rented a furnished apt., so the lease was a month to month lease with the duration to one year. It was just what the Consulate wanted (at least back then).

What would I have done if my VISA application had been turned down? Well, I'm lucky I didn't have to deal with that issue.

makati
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Promise to Lease required for Long stay Visa

Thanks ,Toutou---maybe this 'promise to lease'is not what we need then. The Fr Embassy requires us to have an address in France that we have a signed guaranteed lodging for at least a couple of months, while we seek permanent place,..but it cannot be a hotel.

Im not aware yet of the types of lodging/apartment possibilities,....but what we need is a short term agreement for July(not a vacation gite,etc)small and inexpensive is best , that we can make a reservation for right now in Jan,so we can simply apply for our long stay visas. What kind of lodging or website is what I'm looking for? Merci mille fois,...Aubriella

Bedoin, France
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Promise to Lease required for Long stay Visa

If you just want to rent a place for a couple of months, you will have a very hard time finding something that isn't a vacation rental (gite type that rents by the week). Also, wanting a place during high season (July / August) makes your dilemma even tougher (more expensive).

The place I rented was, in fact, a gite. They just recalculated the pricing to be a monthly rental price (which was very fair) and wrote out a monthly lease.

Yes, I had to have an actual address / lease. You can normally work out very attractive (financially) monthly rentals of gites out of high season. Empty rentals want a 3 year lease signed. That's the way it works here. The tenant can depart prior to the end of 3 years (giving 2 to 3 months notice prior to departing), but the owner cannot end the lease prior to the 3 years. This type of thing, as you've said, would not be beneficial to you.

I don't see any way out of the gite/vacation rental thing, unless you have family here and can use their address. They would then be required to sign documentation stating you will be living with them.

4. Re: Promise to Lease required for Long stay Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 17:20