We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

Hi, I'll be driving from Chamonix to Aix-en-Provence with my husband and 3-year-old toddler on 29 Dec and we are intending to stay 5 nights in the area.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on:

1. Where to base ourselves - Aix-en-Provence or St. Remy or ?

We are intending to rent an apartment.

2. Where to visit - scenic places which are suitable for a toddler?

We would like to visit only one town/city per day. Nothing too tiring.

3. Are there any restaurants which are open on 31 Dec and 1 Jan?

Any recommendations which are suitable for a toddler?

Appreciate all help and suggestions! Thanks in advance! :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
133 reviews
1. Re: 5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

We've just returned home after spending 10 days renting a lovely apartment in the old town of Aix so whilst I can't comment on what it might be like over the New Year, based on my experience you'll need to take account of these things. If you choose Aix and plan on keeping your car whilst you're there, navigating the old town would be a nightmare to someone unfamiliar with the network of narrow streets most of which are permanently closed to most traffic. Others have limited access only after certain hours. Secure car parks are scattered around the edge of the old town and most cost 15 euros / 24 hrs but can get full during weekdays, filled with commuters and long term residents who have no-one where else to park their car.

We rented an apartment in the old town just off Pl. Forum des Cardeurs which was perfect for us, adjacent to all the cafes, boulangeries, lively restaurants and the historic area. But be aware almost all apartments in the old town are on the 2nd or 3rd floors of old buildings with no lifts and narrow staircases so with a toddler and suitcases to carry, choose your accommodation carefully. I feel sure all restaurants that are open at new year will cater for small children. It's part of the French culture to do so.

What's suitable for a toddler? When our son was 3 we took him with us everywhere including multiple long haul trips across the world but on arrival we'd choose holidays to accommodate his needs rather than ours at that age which didn't include doing much travelling around in the back of a car. I doubt enjoying the wonderful and scenic areas of Provence to be something most toddlers wouldn't relish, especially after the snow filled streets of Chamonix!

Marseille, France
Destination Expert
for Marseille, Aix-en-Provence
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: 5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

I love Aix during this season. There will be Christmas illuminations everywhere, the shops should all still be decked in festival guise when you're there and the seasonal markets will be continuing. Can't speak for Saint Remy, but there will probably be more going on in Aix. marvellous-provence.com/arts-and-traditions/…

Aix is also reasonably well supplied with kid-friendly stuff. I recommend the Vasarley Foundation for its children's workshops, though they may be geared at older kids. marvellous-provence.com/aix-en-provence/what…

Edited: 05 October 2014, 13:45
Aix-en-Provence...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: 5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

Aix-en-Provence is more central than St Remy de Provence and more charming

All restaurants / bars are open for the change of year

Precheurs Studios is ideally located nearby Place des Precheurs and has been awarded recently by an Excellence Certificate from TripAdvisor for 2014

Self catering well equipped studios

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
198 reviews
4. Re: 5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

I would choose St Remy because it is better located for seeing western Provence. I suggest you post on that forum to learn about the town during the period you'll be in Provence.

When we traveled with toddlers they were usually happy as long as they were fed, dry and not in a car seat overly long. There are many interesting places within an hour or so drive from SR such as Uzes, Pont du Gard, the Luberon, Nimes, Aigues Mortes. Get the Michelin Green Guide for Provence.

Edited: 08 October 2014, 16:57
5. Re: 5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 February 2016, 14:25
6. Re: 5 nights in Aix-en-Provence (29 Dec 2014 - 3 Jan 2015)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence