We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning plan of action

Kapolei, Hawaii
2 posts
Returning plan of action

I studied in Aix for a semester back in 1987, and have forgotten just about all my French, but I would love to go back and visit. I'm sure all has changed and I've not ventured to Europe since I left. Many here have recently traveled to Aix or have a good memory of your trip. If you had to re-due it, I'd love to hear the perfect plan.

I had thought of Flying into Paris, then renting a car and driving to Aix, too far? Should take a train? plane? I managed without a car quite well almost 30 years ago, but I was single and now have a wife and son to join me. Not worried about where to stay so much as mobility.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Returning plan of action

You could fly to Paris and then take either one of many train options from there or another flight to the MRS airport. If you just want to be in Aix, there are buses every half hour that go from MRS into Aix, making it very easy to spend time in Aix without a car, but you can rent one at the airport or in Aix if you want to.

Another option would be to fly to Nice and then rent a car there for continuing on to Aix, etc.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Returning plan of action

Aix is still lovely, I think you're right that not much will have changed!

If I were you I'd fly to Paris (and stay a few nights either in the way or way back) and take the 3 hour TGV to Aix. The fast train is fantastic, good fun for kids and the simplest (airports require so much fussing, luggage issues, checking in early etc). It delivers you about 15 mins out of Aix center but you can easily get a taxi into town.

Then if you want to see some other parts of Provence, hire a car and either do day trips from Aix, or start moving about to different hotels, or a hotel in a town with easier parking, once you've had your fill of Aix.

Enjoy!

Kapolei, Hawaii
2 posts
3. Re: Returning plan of action

Ah, thanks! I didn't know the Train was so close to Aix. Your right, a night or 2 in Paris is a must anyway.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Returning plan of action

And the bus that leaves the MRS airport stops 15 minutes later at the Aix TGV station to pick up passengers on its way to Aix. When it arrives at the bus station (Gare Routiere) in Aix, you have the choice of walking or taking a short taxi ride to a hotel.

5. Re: Returning plan of action

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Aix-en-Provence
Recent Conversations