We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

GTA
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

Good Evening,

My wife and I are interested in a one-day tour out of Paris (TGV out of Montparnasse) and are looking for tour recommendations. Reds are our preference. Many thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Saumur, France
Level Contributor
87 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

Hi

Try www.letastingroom.com run by a lovely English couple. You can get the train from Montparnasse to Angers and they will pick you up from there.

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,537 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

Although there are reds, the Loire Valley is more about white wines, some of them sweet. If it is red wines that really interest you, you would be better visiting Bordeaux (although that would be a challenging day trip) or Dijon (for Bourgogne wines, where, although the very best are white, there are many top quality reds as well).

It is the weather that determines where good red wines might be grown terrain permitting, although with global climate change that zone is gradually creeping north (particularly noticeable in Germany).

GTA
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
3. Re: Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

Thank you both, especially to LoireVeloGirl for confirming one of the groups I was looking at. I've been in touch with Cathy and she's tailoring the tour to our wants.

Angers, France
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
4. Re: Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

Around Chinon and Saumur, and east of Angers, there are very good red wines, and far cheeper than in Burgundy or around Bordeaux. That said, it's a matter of taste, and you will not find in Loire valley the same wineyards than in Burgundy or Bordelais, in term of reputation. No "Beaune", in Loire Valley, no "châteaux" , or very small, but reputation is not always quality. In Loire valley, wine is one product among others;

Edited: 18 December 2017, 09:37
Rambouillet, France
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Single Day Wine Tour from Paris

Stuck in the Bordeaux mud for decades I am ready to try a Loire red, thanks for the inspiration.

Saint-Angers here I come!

Reply to: Single Day Wine Tour from Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Loire Valley