We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etretat from Honfleur

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Etretat from Honfleur

Hello! I am travelling with my husband and 12 year old daughter to the Normandy region in end June. I have an option to stay 3 nights in Honfleur and do a day trip to Etretat or 2 nights in Honfleur and one in Etretat. Pls do suggest what we should do! Tia

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,259 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

I'd do the daytrip which is what we did. Honfleur is a lovely little town although one afternoon and evening is plenty -- but it has lots of restaurants and is lovely. I'd probably add a day to some other destination like Bayeux and spend 2 nights in Honfleur with the day for the trip to Etretat or else use one of the two days you will have to visit some of the other beach towns in the area. You can see our Honfleur and Etretat snapshots in my photo journal in the Normandy section.. Etretat is a favorite artistic subject of the Impressionists and that is how we learned about it. So glad we went.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

Rutherford, New...
Level Contributor
300 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

I think I would do one night in Etretat just to increase the chance of getting some good weather there.

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

Thank you for the tip, I shall definitely read your travelogue for more information! Is it difficult to get from Honfleur to Etretat? Will a taxi be very expensive?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

Yes, taxi will be expensive. Take the bus. Info about bus to Etretat from Honfleur is on rhe Etretat tourist office website. Or use the Normandy public transport website commentjyvais.com.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
23 reviews
5. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

Bonjour, Harpreet,

Etretat is a minimum two-hour bus ride from Honfleur, as shown in the link below, using the Comment J'y Vais website suggested in post #4:

https://tinyurl.com/y8pgleay

http://www.commentjyvais.fr/en/

Select the itinerary that you wish and the details will be displayed to the right of the screen.

I am curious. Since you have asked about a taxi, there is an implication that you will be without a car. If so, how will you get to Honfleur, which has no railroad station?

Good luck with your planning.

MrsJAS

Edited: 13 June 2017, 01:57
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,259 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

Oh if you don't have a car, I would definitely spent the night in Etretat. You don't want to rush.

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

Thank you Mrs. JAS.

We are coming from India so for us that'll be the wrong side of the road. We tried driving once in Cannes and it was a bit of a disaster. :) So now we prefer to take public transport. We will end up taking the bus around these parts, though of course it'll be a lot slower! We are going from Paris to Rouen where we will spend two nights. Rouen to Honfluer, another two nights there. One night in Etretat as suggested by you, and then we take the train from Le Havre to Paris where we spend 6 nights... So excited! Do you think the taxi will be roughly the cost of the bus when we take into account there are three of us, or still way more expensive?

Thanks again!

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

Thank you! Does it rain a lot end June?

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

No car, so will do that! The hotel has a view of the beach so should be beautiful! :)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Etretat from Honfleur

A taxi will be more expensive than a bus even for three of you. It's about a 1 hour drive (55+/-km) between Honfleur and Etretat so a taxi will likely cost €70 to €100 each way.

If you have questions about weather there are loads of weather websites easily found on google where you can get average temps, rainfall, sunshine and any other data. Check the forecast a day or two before you leave and pack accordingly. There are no rainy seasons in France like there are in India. Temps will be nice but there is no telling whether it will be sunny or rainy while you are here.