We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train E-tickets with open date

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
train E-tickets with open date

We want to purchase e-tickets from SNCF online depart for going from Paris to Vernon.

The only problem is that we are obligated to choose the time for a return trip. We would like to leave it open as we don't know how long we are going to be there. I know that this option exists while buying tickets at the train station. Can't we do it online using e-ticket option?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: train E-tickets with open date

You're not going to be able to leave it open, because that's the way the e-ticket booking system works. But in practice the trains on this route are either Regional (TER) or Intercites that don't require a reservation, so you aren't tied to one specific train, just to the date, even though the ticket will say the train number.

I think that if you buy tickets for a TER you are in theory not supposed to use them on an Intercites (as it's a faster / higher class of train), but the other way round is okay. I've done this myself with no problem.

Edited: 21 April 2017, 23:59
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: train E-tickets with open date

Make this easy for yourself and just buy tickets at the train station on the day you visit. The full fare is about 14 or 15 euros each way and when you are at the train station you can ask for open tickets and they will be valid for any train you want to take so you can spend as much time as you want at Monet's gardens. Full fare open tickets are valid on any train for 7 days starting from the date of validity.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
3. Re: train E-tickets with open date

Thank you!

If we wish to take 10:20 train, when will be best to arrive at the train station to have enough time to purchase Tickets?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: train E-tickets with open date

Queues for the ticket offices in the large city rail stations like Paris St Lazare are always long and slow (can be 20 - 30 minutes), because most people will have bought tickets online or at automatic machines, and the staffed windows are mainly dealing with difficult and complicated ticketing issues. For this reason I would suggest making life easy and buying your outbound ticket on line. Your only time requirement is to be on board the train 2 minutes before departure.

On the other hand, Vernon is a much smaller station and you won't have the long queues to deal with. Especially as you are not sure how long you are going to stay there, you might as well buy the return ticket on the day at Vernon.

There are no discounts for return tickets in France, so you won't pay more for buying the tickets separately.

Edited: 22 April 2017, 07:25
Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: train E-tickets with open date

I'm at all the railway stations in Paris frequently and quite often at Gare Saint-Lazare to take the 8:20 train to Vernon/Giverny. I generally wait no more than 5 or 10 minutes at most at any of the train stations but certainly there can sometimes be longer waits if staff is limited at the counter and there is an excess of customers. Buy your ticket online if you'd like or just show up at the train station 40 minutes prior to departure to buy your ticket.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: train E-tickets with open date

I'll add that I'm generally buying TER tickets so my experience is related to that, not to lines for tgv and intercites train ticket purchase.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
7. Re: train E-tickets with open date

It was a very helpful information that there are no discount return tickets. Thank you!

I guess that we will buy one way e-tickets separately from Paris, and after attending the gardens, from Vernon.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,839 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: train E-tickets with open date

If your credit card works in the machines it is fast but the last time we went to Vernon we missed the train because our cards didn't work (before we had chips) and the line to buy tickets was over an hour. Only people with complicated purchase issues on in line and it is very slow.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
13,704 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: train E-tickets with open date

But yours was the exception and not the rule Janet. I'm quite often taking the 8:20 train to Vernon and have been doing so for a few years and I've never experienced a line like that. The qualifier is that I'm taking the 8:20 train so perhaps lines are longer for the 10:20 train and/or later trains.

10. Re: train E-tickets with open date

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2018, 05:18